• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Habicht 7x42 (1 Viewer)

Malloot

Does anyone have experiance with the Habicht 7x42 when using eyeglasses?

Thank you,

Norman

Last edited:
Hello Norman,

I have had experience with the Habicht but even though I wear specs, I am a fairly special case: I am so myopic that the usual parameters do not seem to apply. However, I should warn you that the rubber cups on the 7x42 Habicht have a nasty habit of going erect from a folded down position, without warning.

I sold mine because of the narrow field of view.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Does anyone have experiance with the Habicht 7x42 when using eyeglasses?

Thank you,

Norman

HEY NORM!

A few years back, the US Dept. of Commerce considered requiring Swarovski to add a label on the 7x42 Habicht's box:

WARNING: Using these binoculars will cause tunnel vision.

But since US-European relations were already strained, they dropped the idea.

If what you are seeking is a premium full-sized birding bin with enough usable ER for eyeglass wearers, very sharp optics, very good edge performance, a wider AFOV, and WPing, consider the 8x42 HG L (or if you work out regularly, an 8x42 HG). Plenty of eye relief even for the thick-bespectacled.

An 8x42 LX in VG condition sold for $400 on Astromart a few weeks ago (but that's really a low ball price).

The seller bought back the LX, but is now looking to trade it for an 8x42 LX L (for the lighter weight - 28 oz. vs. 36 oz.).

So if you've got a bull neck and Popeye biceps, keep watching Amart in case he doesn't make a trade and has to sell the LX again. You might get lucky.

WARNING: You must be immune to the "rolling ball effect" to use these binoculars or have worked for at least one year in a carnival Fun House without experiencing nausea or disorientation.

CHEERS!

Last edited:
Hello Norman,

I have used mine during 6 years, without any problems. I wear glasses (- 8.00 both eyes) and I used with eyecup dropped off. For myself the FOV was the maximum and the eye relief well enough and confortable to use in any circumstances. Now their webpage says that this modell has 14 mm eye relief, but better to try it. Many times the two things (written technical dates and the true in real life) are different. I have changed it beacuse of the very narrow FOV, that is unconfortable. But overall, they are sharp, brilliant, clear and light binoculars. I keep it for my guests.

Regards

Vámi

Last edited:
Dear all,

Thank you for your replies.
I never buy 2nd hand products, I really have only bad experiences with 2nd hand products. I always seem to buy other peoples troubles.

Since my current bino has a fov of 105 @ 1000 mtr, I will gain 9 mtr. :D
Which seemed always to be enough.

The story off Vami is promising and I will try them for a while before buying.

Hello Norman,

...I wear glasses (- 8.00 both eyes) and I used with eyecup dropped off. For myself the FOV was the maximum and the eye relief well enough and confortable to use in any circumstances. Now their webpage says that this modell has 14 mm eye relief, but better to try it. Many times the two things (written technical dates and the true in real life) are different...

Regards

Vámi

Hello,

I need -7.5 for each eye. Like Vami, I did not have trouble seeing the whol FOV but I think that with such marked near sightedness, myopia, see differently through binoculars than those with moderate myopia, so try before you buy.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Bought the 7x42 habicht today. Although I wear glasses, there didn't seem te be any problems with that.

Many thanks for all of your replies!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back