• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juba, South Sudan: Winding Cisticola and a weaver (1 Viewer)

The first two photos are of Winding Cisticola, presumably Cisticola (galactotes) marginatus. They are numerous in marshland here in the rainy season. However they lack the bright rufous crown that this (sub)species should have; the crown is also slightly streaked. Any views on this one?

The other photo is of a weaver that I cannot place. Any thoughts? I'm not sure what the leg colour is. The commonest species here are Village Weaver and Northern Masked Weaver. The bulk/bill size/eye colour seem wrong for the former and eye colour and amount of yellow seem wrong for latter. Weavers here are starting to come into breeding plumage.

Cheers

Mark

Attachments

• 106ts.jpg
    106ts.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 126ts.jpg
    126ts.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 241ts.jpg
    241ts.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 60
Mac,
I looked at some photos for the Passer. In my view, not the Passer given the bill being too elongated, and not thick enough at the bill base. The bill of the Passer is an almost perfect short cone viewing it from the side.

I would have guessed from the muted colours that it's a juvenile. I've looked around and still can't see what else it could be in the Sudan.

Hello Mark,

The cisticola looks ok for Winding to me. And since it was singing, its ID should be straightforwar.
The second bird is indeed a weaver (for example a Sudan golden sparrow would show a brown(ish) back). Did you consider Little weaver?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back