• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Considering a Display model Nikon 500mm Lens (1 Viewer)

Marc_G

Hi Everyone,

I've come across a *display model* Nikon 500mm F/4 VR ED-IF. It's the version just behind the newest VR2 version, and it's selling for US$6999.99 from a reputable dealer. There is an optional $800.00 3 year warranty to add on to that. (otherwise there is no warranty). Purchasing the warranty also brings the base price down to $6799.99. Taxes will be added onto this as well.

Just wondering if that is a reasonable price for this piece of equipment - not interested in anyone telling me whether or not I NEED to buy it. :)

Thanks!

B&H are selling the 500 VR II new for US$7,999 which will of course inc. a warranty (and as you live in the USA you can easily add a 3 or 5 year warranty for relative peanuts, I forget the name of the company that sells them but they seem well thought of, or on the B&H site US$1,000 buys you 3 yrs insurance for dropping it too) !

Sorry I should have stated I live in Canada.

To get that lens to me in Canada it would come to $9146.28 which would be about $1000 more than my other option with no warranty. I think that one is imported as well so doesn't that negate the warranty from Nikon anyway?

To get that lens to me in Canada it would come to $9146.28 which would be about $1000 more than my other option with no warranty. I think that one is imported as well so doesn't that negate the warranty from Nikon anyway?

Ok I actually read on B&H about it. From what I understand, the grey market stuff comes with a 1 year warranty from B&H - not Nikon.
I'd be a little worried sending that thing back and forth across the border if it ever needed repairing.

Some thinking to do I guess! :)

There's only one version of the 500mm VR, the previous version was the AFS-II, not VR.

Go 'new' IMO. I've heard too many birders bragging about how many times they've dropped stuff and it still works.

There's only one version of the 500mm VR, the previous version was the AFS-II, not VR.

Go 'new' IMO. I've heard too many birders bragging about how many times they've dropped stuff and it still works.

Ok so am I confusing myself here with the versions of 500mm lenses from Nikon?

Indulge me:

So there is indeed only ONE VR version of the nikon 500mm? But the VR is actually VRII technology? Is that why sometimes it is listed as Nikon 500mm VRII?

Yes, could be. You can confirm that the 500 is the latest version if the M/A switch has three positions: A/M, M/A, M.

The 'A/M' setting is only found on so-called 'VR II' or newer versions of VR, but the official nomenclature for the current lens is "AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4G ED VR".

As JPAC says, I believe there is only one VR version of the 500, but both 'VR I' and 'VR II' versions can be found on some of the other exotics, like the 300 f/2.8.

Superb piece of glass,

Jim

Ok so am I confusing myself here with the versions of 500mm lenses from Nikon?

Indulge me:

So there is indeed only ONE VR version of the nikon 500mm? But the VR is actually VRII technology? Is that why sometimes it is listed as Nikon 500mm VRII?

Last edited:
After a little research, it is not clear why the 500mm VR is sometimes listed as VRII. The lens was released in 2007 and it had the tripod mode even then. VR2 indicates Nikon says it has 4 stops of effective VR, VRIII having 5. Maybe back then, VR just meant having a VR function to differentiate between that and the previous AFS version.

What confused me was the 4/3.85m close focus, thinking maybe there were two versions but this actually means 4m for AF and 3.85m in manual focus.

In a lens lifetime, there could be some production changes but AFAIK there's just the one version, originally described as VR but later called VR2 by Nikon marketing.

This page is my Nikon lens reference;
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html#500

VR I came out around 2000 so the 500 f/4 was released with VR II but it was the first version of VR in a 500mm lens. The 600mm f/4 was announced concurrently and has the same VR II even though it is labeled VR.

The chances of having a warranty repair costing $800 or more is quite slim. I'd skip the warranty and bank the savings. Repairs costing more than $800 would likely be due to impact damage which is not covered anyway. Of course, you should have insurance covering impact damage, theft, etc.

Also keep in mind insuring a $7000 lens for shipping to be repaired can be costly.

I'd get the lens if it is something you have considered. Give it a good test and be sure it works properly. Test both AF and VR - those are the two most likely repair items.

If you get a new one in Canada from a Nikon dealer it will come with a 5 year Nikon warranty. Also keep in mind that on top what you pay for the lens in the US, Canada customs will charge you Canadian sales tax on the value declared by the seller (depending on your province up to 15%). If you buy in person and carry it over the border you would have to declare it as well (and pay the tax).

I had some pleasant surprises in the past when I asked local small (i.e. non chain) camera stores for competitive price quotes on such big ticket items.

Ulli

PS http://www.photoprice.ca/product/00810/Nikon-AF-S-Nikkor-500mm-f4-G-ED-VR-price.html#a.00810 that's brand new with 5 years Canadain warranty and tax included.

Last edited:
If the lens is without a warranty then it is either a used lens or the dealer is not authorized by Nikon and it is a gray market lens.

I would expect to pay less for a used VR I lens without a warranty as that is what they are selling. With the VR II lens now being sold there are likely to be people with the VR I version selling theirs to get the new one.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back