• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 95mm Objective Lens Rattles? (1 Viewer)

tranathi

Swarovski 95mm Objective Lens Rattle Noise

Hello, I just bought a Swarovski ATX 95mm set and the objective lens has a low rattle noise like there are moving parts in it. The sound is heard near the focus ring. I’m coming from the Kowa 883 and that scope has zero noise when handling (even when shaking it on purpose). Can any Swarovski 95mm owner help me check theirs and confirm whether this is normal?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi tranathi and welcome.

It is not unusual for high quality optics to rattle to prevent pinched optics and distortion. This is expected in high quality astro optics.

However, Swarovski 95mm owners should check whether Swarovskis actually do this or have cushioning.

Regards,
B.

Hi tranathi and welcome.

It is not unusual for high quality optics to rattle to prevent pinched optics and distortion. This is expected in high quality astro optics.

However, Swarovski 95mm owners should check whether Swarovskis actually do this or have cushioning.

Regards,
B.

Thanks, Binastro. So far this scope doesn’t seem to have any issue except for the mentioned sound. I’ll keep an eye on it to see if that causes any technical problem later on. Thanks again.

Mine makes the sound you describe when zooming. Just finished shaking it since never noticed before - yes it also does that noise.
I think it's normal since I never noticed any problem with image quality.

Mine makes the sound you describe when zooming. Just finished shaking it since never noticed before - yes it also does that noise.
I think it's normal since I never noticed any problem with image quality.

Hi,

thanks David - I think we are safe to assume that Binastro is correct then and it is done on purpose... after nothing is worse than a lens which is mounted tight...

Joachim

The problem with optics that rattle is that over time the lens elements rotate.
This means they get out of the best position that an expert technician put them in in the first place.

Usually, optics are lightly marked in pencil, or light marks on the edge, with an inclined line and correct position.
When taken apart for cleaning these lines are usually well out of place.
Some optics have the makers names or initials.

In the case of astronomical telescope mirrors I found a Latin phrase also. In another, an ancient Greek biblical verse. I had to get a translation from the local Greek church.

The Ross 100mm f/15 triplet objective had a small edge semicircular cutout at the edge of each element. The brave maker did this.
A rod went through these three cutouts, so that the elements could never rotate from best position.
This objective was essentially perfect with no trace of false colour.

B.

Thanks to all that replied to this thread. I had finally received the replacement scope last weekend (drop shipped directly from Swarovski Optik). I’m sorry to report that the new one also has this small rattle sound near the focus ring. At this point I start to believe it’s just the mechanical parts inside the focus ring that makes that sound when handling the scope. I called Swarovski service support and they confirmed that it is normal, and one may also make more notable sound than another. At least all this had reassured that I didn’t spend >$4k for a defective unit. So far this scope has been a joy looking through this glass. I’m looking forward to using it a lot this summer.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back