• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica Dec. 2019 (1 Viewer)

Lanhua

I need ID of following birds. Thanks for help

Attachments

• BB6I7564.JPG
    BB6I7564.JPG
    473.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DQ5R0012.JPG
    DQ5R0012.JPG
    473.2 KB · Views: 35
  • DQ5R0072.JPG
    DQ5R0072.JPG
    459.9 KB · Views: 29
  • DQ5R0074.JPG
    DQ5R0074.JPG
    443.1 KB · Views: 35
and few more.
I think picture 1 and 8 shows the same bird, also 4 and 5.
Pictures 1 and 8 I took on Savegre Lodge, another pictures Villa san Ignacio, Allajuela

Attachments

• DQ5R0124.JPG
    DQ5R0124.JPG
    484.9 KB · Views: 31
  • DQ5R0132.JPG
    DQ5R0132.JPG
    328.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DQ5R0269.JPG
    DQ5R0269.JPG
    464.5 KB · Views: 35
  • DQ5R1198.JPG
    DQ5R1198.JPG
    460.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
4. Yellow-Throated Grassquit? (EDIT: I meant Yellow-Faced :) )
8. Yellow-Bellied Flycatcher?

Last edited:
I think both 2 and 4 are Yellow-faced Grassquit.
1, 8 looks to be an Empidonax flycatcher but not sure which.
3 is a Euphonia but not sure which.
5 looks like a painted bunting

Niels

1,8.mountain elaenia
2,4.yellow faced grassquit
3.yellow throated euphonia
5,6.painted bunting
7.white vented euphonia?

Thanks a lot to all of you.
Picture 7, as Euphonia, has my bird to long bill, in my opinion.

I can see why Arcadillor suggested a Euphonia [clearly a young bird of whatever species]. I don't think white-vented is in range. If not a Euphonia I'm not sure what it is, but I can see why you're sceptical.

NJlarsen are there multiple empids in range then? I was going through some photos from Puntarenas province that were also taken in Dec 2019, and eBird seemed to suggest yellow-bellied was the only likely empid.

NJlarsen are there multiple empids in range then? I was going through some photos from Puntarenas province that were also taken in Dec 2019, and eBird seemed to suggest yellow-bellied was the only likely empid.

There aren't any empids in these pics.

Arcadillor's suggestion of Mountain elaenia seems good to me

I should stay away from Flycatchers, one more proof of that. I know that several northern empids are migrants and just assumed some of them might be present in CR at this time.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back