Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Blue tit in nest box

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 24th December 2007, 13:16   #1
petecockney

Smile Blue tit in nest box

I have had a single blue tit in nest box since last september.
My question is :- is it more likely to be a male than a female. I am unable to tell the difference between the sexes of a blue tit.
I thought it would likely be the male as he was perhaps looking after territory for next years hatch.
I would appreciate your views or knowledge.
Kind regards
Pete

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 24th December 2007, 13:35   #2
Marmot

We had a male Great Tit that night roosted in the box for over a year, it even fought off all comers during the breeding season. I think it just wanted it as a bachelor pad.

With BTs the male is supposed to have a broader stripe at the back of the head.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 24th December 2007, 15:10   #3
petecockney

Thanks Marmot

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 24th December 2007, 21:49   #4
KnockerNorton

It could be a male or female. Both will roost in boxes (though they both usually prefer smaller cavities as they can warm up the air around them more quickly - a box has quite a large airspace inside, and isn't as cosy at their usual prefered roost sites). The female may roost in the box that she will later nest in, but usually they try and avoid this because they build up droppings in their roost sites, and naturally they want a clean nest site that will not attract predators (smell) or disease. But sometimes they don't have much choice, especially in suburban gardens where there aren't many natural cavities for them.

It can be very difficult to sex blue tits. Trying to sex a lone bird is unreliable, and features such as width of head band and blueness of cap/wings are only really useful when you compare a pair at the nest, when you know you have a male and female. First years are even more tricky, as they're not as bright. And suburban birds are another problem - they're duller than country birds. So it makes it too difficult to tell, really. Many ringers insist that you can sex blue tits fairly reliably. But I think that's maybe an overinterpretation of the criteria in the literature. I have been assured by someone who has compared many hundreds of pairs that it is very difficult indeed.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: