Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Blue Jay Nest NOW WHAT

Old Friday 27th March 2009, 17:18   #1
turbochargedv8

Blue Jay Nest NOW WHAT

I was in the process of cutting down this large shrub on the side of my house and in the process i discovered a nest i assumed it was empty so i lifted it out with my hand i was wearing gloves
I seen eggs in it to i put it in a shrub nearby
i took a break and noticed a blue jay come and scope out the scene and make this calling chirp out loud and fly away

whats going to happen now will the blue jay abandon the nest is the nest alright where it is it appearing the nest will be exposed to rain

thanks
i feel a little bad here
Old Friday 27th March 2009, 17:40   #2
ColonelBlimp
What time is bird?

Well you don't really know what's going to happen now: the jay might find the nest and keep attending it but that sounds pretty unlikely. Of course, the eggs addle if they aren't incubated, so if she doesn't find it pretty soon then it's tough luck for the eggs.

Pretty bad idea to cut down things like that in the breeding season without first checking for nests.
Old Friday 27th March 2009, 17:55   #3
turbochargedv8

i had no idea it was breeding season
so basicly the blue jay has to sit on the eggs because i dont see the bird back in the nest how long can the eggs go without the moother sitting on them
Old Saturday 28th March 2009, 07:08   #4
ColonelBlimp
What time is bird?

Not very long I'd imagine. I think the only thing you could possibly do now is wait a while to make sure that the mother isn't coming back, and if she isn't, take the eggs to your local wildlife rehabilitator.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: