• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scotland - another crossbill I'm afraid (1 Viewer)

Hi

Without wishing to open up the whole crossbill taxonomy debate, does anyone have a view on the attached? The photo was taken near the Findhorn Valley on the road over to Loch Ruthven. Common Crossbill?

Attachments

• Crossbill.bmp
    203.2 KB · Views: 334
The culmen of this bird does appear quite strongly decurved, but the lower mandible doesnt have the bulging down in the centre that Parrot Crossbill has, it appears reasonably flat. Of course so called Scotish Crossbill has this combination of bill features (if you believe they exist!), and of course Common Crossbills vary structurally too.
Regards
Hugh

It does look rather large billed but the actual size of the bill is, individually, very variable. I'd go with Common / Red Crossbill because :-
The shape of the forehead - very flat, parrticularly at the junction with the bill.
The "cheeks" and nape don't look particularly "full".
The curve of the culmen - very smoothly curved and not "dipping" sharply(ish) towards the tip.
The angle formed by the ( fine ) crossed tips much less than 45 degrees, although this is very variable.
The shape of the lower mandible - smoothly curved, not rather sharply angled upward from the gonys forward.
The combination of all these rules out Parrot and, probably, Scottish as well.

Chris

Had I seen this in Sweden I wouldn't have doubted to call it a Common Crossbill, but I have no experience of what Scottish Crossbills look like... the bill seems quite heavy, but then Commons are very variable, and it might just be the posture of the bird (the head looks big as well, maybe because it's turning it towards us).

I think the bill depth looks good for Scotbill. Obviously difficult without sounds but the lower mandible isnt good for Parrotbill and I think the upper mandible looks too deep for Common.

It is a juvenile (first year male) 'golden cock'. It has retained most of it's juvenile greater coverts, which could be a bird born in the Spring of 2010 showing extremely retarded moult, but more likely a bird that fledged Summer or early Autumn 2010, which would suggest Common. If this is a Scottish Crossbill it is demonstrating quite retarded wing moult for a December bird. The bill does look quite big for Common Crossbill but this is comparative to the body size - it may have a very small body which subsequently makes the bill look big.

I have seen a "golden cock" Scottish Crossbill before, singing at Glen Tanar in March a few years ago so not impossible - this bird probably fed on Sitka through the winter. However, first year male Parrots and Scottish xbills are normally showing some red male plumage by mid/end of October (having fledged in May/June) so based on this I would say you have a Common Crossbill, first year, golden cock.

All of this is assuming your pic is from Dec 2010 - if not then that changes things ! Moult is a useful tool for Crossbills !

Hope this helps !

LC

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back