• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

how many species? (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

and what are they? This lot were nearly a mile away in haze... my excuse and I'm sticking to it

Attachments

• how many species.JPG
    how many species.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 225
Godwit of some sort - Black-tailed at a guess.
Golden Plover ?
Oystercatcher
BH Gull
Common Gull
Sandwich Tern
Turnstone and Ringed Plover in foreground.

Last edited:
Experience suggests that it is unwise for me to rush straight in to an ID problem like this. So here goes...

Black-headed Gull
Common Gull
Sandwich Tern
Oystercatcher
Bar-tailed Godwit
Knot
Ringed Plover

I have sneaking suspicion there might be a turnstone lurking in there too, but I'll ignore that suspicion and leave my guess at seven species.

Stuart

1. Black-headed Gull
2. Common Gull
3. Oystercatcher
4. Knot
5. Ringed Plover
6. Sandwich Tern
7. Black-tailed Godwit
8. Bar-tailed Godwit

Ooh nearly... two missing.. one requires an eye of faith.. but there were 3000 out there!

I thought the one of each Godwit was was stylish. Juv islandica Blackwit is a good bird here.

Jane Turner said:
There was a single turnstone on the beach... but I'm not sure it is in that shot...

You mean there isn't a definitive correct answer ...?

Add Common Tern to the running total and we have a collective total of nine species, but I don't know your area so have no inspiration for what the missing 3000 might be.

also on the beach but not obviously in that pic were Sanderling, Redshank, Grey Plover and Curlew

Here are some of the 3000 - at the range of the first pic the 10th species looks like sand and you can only see ringed plovers...

Oh and here is proof of the existence of a smart summer plumage turnstone

Attachments

• h1.JPG
    h1.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 169
  • h3.JPG
    h3.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back