• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dead 100-400mm: trash or repair USA? (1 Viewer)

JLPritchard

My used-to-be-trusty Canon 100-400mm lens died on me. In fairness, it did give me warning. For a little while the lens has been sticking occasionally when extending/contracting. It would extend fine, but on contracting it would act like it was fully closed when only partially closed. Some manipulating and it would eventually close. This was episodic.

Yesterday, it did this and it took quite a while to get it to close. Something must have happened to the electronics as now the camera will neither focus nor take pictures with this lens. Evidently it doesn't recognize the lens is in place?

Other lenses work fine with the camera.

This lens is probably worth $900-1000 if in good condition. I am wondering if it is worth trying to repair or if it is probably so damaged it is not worth the effort. Any advice appreciated.

Have you tried cleaning the contacts between the lens and the camera?

Niels

No, did not do that. But the lens obviously has bigger issues with the lens not extending/retracting properly & that will require someone with more expertise than I have. Even if the lens worked, I don't want to fight with it to work properly.

Besides, I have a 100-400mm II on waitlist order. :king: This will become either a backup or expendable, depending on how hot my credit card gets this holiday season.

Appreciate the suggestion.

Update: Canon will repair the lens for $310 and I paid $25 to ship it insured. So I am very pleased to rescue this lens at what I consider a very reasonable price - about 1/3 its resale value used probably. I will probably keep it as my backup to the newer model, especially if I am expecting shooting in difficult weather/terrain conditions. Thanks to all who responded. All's well that ends well...

My Canon G10 Powerpoint lens got stuck in the on position a while back, and it cost £160 to fix with a local Canon dealer (close to my OH's work)

Sadly our guarantee ran out a long while ago so that went against us for repair work

As what Neils has said it could be a bit of dirt that has got into the lens area itself, and it needed to be cleared out.

Our G10 camera is fine to use once more after many years of photographs, and it is just as good to use...

I had one ditch in sea water (while I was holding it!). It was an insurance write off but someone still paid £300 for it and the attached Canon 20D on eBay for parts - and was happy with the purchase. B :)

Said it was worth a quote.
Glad you got a reasonable repair deal. That + they normally service/check it as well will improve it's re-sale value - maybe not by $310 but a fair bit so better than a paper weight!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back