• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your most anticipated futures books (3 Viewers)

To be fair, I am a die hard Nat Geo (for overall coverage) and Sibley (which is more useful for tough IDs). So I suspect it will also be a home reference.

Cost was an argument some made about Hawaii during the initial debates, as some listers felt it was not fair to add what was seen as an "expensive" go to destination for ABA listers.

To be fair, I am a die hard Nat Geo (for overall coverage) and Sibley (which is more useful for tough IDs). So I suspect it will also be a home reference.

Cost was an argument some made about Hawaii during the initial debates, as some listers felt it was not fair to add what was seen as an "expensive" go to destination for ABA listers.

It's the same in the UK on a smaller scale, you can't compete for a year list unless you're prepared (able) to throw hundreds of £££££££ at a single bird on a remote island, necessitating charter flights and boats which are often 'held' for certain people in the event of something turning up.

Peterson wouldn't be my book of choice for a NA trip either, Sibley for me.

Last edited:
So ABA's rather dubious decision to incorporate Hawaii within its definition of the ABA area is sufficient reason for the Peterson series to follow suit? For a relatively small subset of "NA year-listers" who might include Hawaii in their efforts? Making the guide less useful for those of us not birding Hawaii (superfluous coverage).

Haven't even found a reference to this presumably forthcoming title.

Lots of people will get it precisely because it now includes Hawaii. A few years ago when I was preparing for our Hawaii trip, it was such a book I was searching for. Though it turned out that the thin Hawaii-specific FGs were really just as convenient. Nevertheless, one needs a major North American FG anyway. It's NG for me not Sibley, however.

Last edited:
Lots of people will get it precisely because it now includes Hawaii. A few years ago when I was preparing for our Hawaii trip, it was such a book I was searching for. Though it turned out that the thin Hawaii-specific FGs were really just as convenient. Nevertheless, one needs a major North American FG anyway. It's NG for me not Sibley, however.

A the rate they're going, Lynx could bang out a Hawaiian guide double quick I reckon. I'd much prefer a dedicated Hawaiian gude, a good one that is.

All that would be required then on my part, would be a lottery win.

I'm still awaiting the long gestating Steve Howell North American Bird Guide

So...still waiting for this. Does anyone know what happened with this? There have been some great Ian Lewington plates that I have seen floating around. I think Brian Sullivan is maybe the main author now?

It's just odd because Howell and co made a huge deal about this, with some articles talking about how they were going to do a non-taxonomic order in the guide and so on. And then...nothing

From the preview pictures it looks like it is overly colorful. :eek!: Must be in fashion these days, but far from realistic.

The cover is awful!

There is already a Struik guide by Sinclair and Langrand which will probably remain the choice of birders, especially as this latest title is a photo guide.

Last edited:
So...still waiting for this. Does anyone know what happened with this? There have been some great Ian Lewington plates that I have seen floating around. I think Brian Sullivan is maybe the main author now?

It's just odd because Howell and co made a huge deal about this, with some articles talking about how they were going to do a non-taxonomic order in the guide and so on. And then...nothing

The project is very much alive and ongoing, I don't know anything about a publication date though.

So how would that work?

One bugbear of World birders is that authors rarely use the same order in a book.

So how would that work?

One bugbear of World birders is that authors rarely use the same order in a book.

Similar to field guides from when I was young: grebes and loons next to ducks, flamingos near herons even though they are taxonomically closer to grebes, etc. There has been plenty of writing about that a few years ago.

Niels

Similar to field guides from when I was young: grebes and loons next to ducks, flamingos near herons even though they are taxonomically closer to grebes, etc. There has been plenty of writing about that a few years ago.

Niels

Yes, the basic idea is what Roger Peterson realized very early on that a field guide should place similarly looking species next to one another. So the first European "Peterson" had swifts and swallows on the same plate. Very convenient for all who have their priorities straight when it comes to trying to identify species.

There are a couple of threads about the proposed order here.

Although the irony of things are that if the book is delayed enough, we will reach the point where the ordinal relationships are largely settled and we won't be making massive reorganizations much anymore, rendering a lot of the complaints no longer relevant.

A post on FB today in a roundabout way intimated that Pearman/Areta’s guide to Argentina is going to press. The details of the original post don’t matter but does anyone else have more information or can anyone confirm?

A google trawl didn't reveal anything new on the Argentina guide. (unfortunately). Perhaps someone from the publisher could weigh in? :)

The Argentina guide is scheduled for publication later this year as shown on the Bloomsbury website -https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/field-guide-to-the-birds-of-argentina-and-the-southwest-atlantic-9780713645798/

The Argentina guide is scheduled for publication later this year as shown on the Bloomsbury website -https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/field-guide-to-the-birds-of-argentina-and-the-southwest-atlantic-9780713645798/

In the case of this particular book, I'll believe it when I see it. Way too many postponements in the past.

A post on FB today in a roundabout way intimated that Pearman/Areta’s guide to Argentina is going to press. The details of the original post don’t matter but does anyone else have more information or can anyone confirm?

Not quite gone to press, but being laid out at the moment.

Jim

Birds of Brazil, Zimmer and Whittaker, looks to have been pushed further away with one of my suppliers suggesting a release date of Nov 2022.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back