• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redpoll (Ukraine) ? (1 Viewer)

osprey0311

Hello!
Help, please, with ID.
24/11/2017 Western Ukraine

Attachments

• IMG_1097.jpg
    IMG_1097.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1099.jpg
    IMG_1099.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1098.jpg
    IMG_1098.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1102.jpg
    IMG_1102.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1105.JPG
    IMG_1105.JPG
    288.2 KB · Views: 97
I would suggest that this is a race of Arctic Redpoll...(no literature at hand at present), will look when I get home.

Cheers

A nice male Arctic Redpoll! Rump and undertail coverts look unstreaked, tiny bill, wide white feather bars and a overall very pale plumage.

Thanks to All!!!
Help please with this Redpol:

Attachments

• IMG_0963.JPG
    IMG_0963.JPG
    245.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0967.JPG
    IMG_0967.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0968.JPG
    IMG_0968.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0971.JPG
    IMG_0971.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0976.JPG
    IMG_0976.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 62
Thanks!!!
I will send three another birds which IMHO are A.h.exilipes...
How do You think?
The first:

Attachments

• IMG_1031.jpg
    IMG_1031.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 35
Ii

Attachments

• IMG_3030.jpg
    IMG_3030.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3031.jpg
    IMG_3031.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3032.jpg
    IMG_3032.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3033.jpg
    IMG_3033.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3034.jpg
    IMG_3034.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 30
Any idea? Or it is impossible to be sure from these photos?
Thanks!

I think the lack of response Osprey is because people simply don't know. This as you know is a very difficult taxa to ID when the examples shown are less than "classic" types. There is much speculation and a lot of faith put in the flank/under-tail covert streaking (also the absence of) which can vary in intensity, and seems to overlap to a greater or lesser extent with all of the proposed taxons in this group. I've often wondered whether the said streaking is gender/age related i.e. heavier streaking in immatures and less so in adults?

FWIW I've had flocks of Redpolls overwintering in my garden (have a niger feeding station, 2m from window) in previous winters (normally between 6-30 birds..none last year). Most of which were Lesser Redpoll A.cabaret, several A.flammea not unlike the birds shown in your last post (larger than the A.cabaret and sporting marginally spotted white rumps), also several types that I found difficult to ascribe to A.flammea, and appearing to fall between the latter and Arctic Redpoll. Good images of the "perceived" salient points are a must! when dealing with "overlap types", glad you've got good access to your Redpolls, keep sending the images as they are certainly of interest....especially as I don't have any at present. :t:

I agree, those in posts 14 and 15 are so border-line. Sometimes I see images of birds identified as 1stW female Arctics that I would have had as flammea, but then I see birds that look like Arctic which are actually Icelandic-race .

Such birds as photographed, with some flank streaking always throw me, really could be either.

I tend to agree with Ken and Nick, that when faced with individuals that don't jump out immediately as Arctic (yet still might be?) you should err on the side of caution unless a combination of clinching details are seen, such as under tail coverts, rump pattern etc.

With a difficult group like redpolls there will always be some birds that are perhaps best left unidentified, and personally I would only be happy to claim birds that show a full suite of characters (or at least most of them) as genuine Arctics .

Last edited:
Some 1w Arctic Redpolls I saw photographed and held in the hand had several UTC streaks and a buffy instead of white rump. They really threw me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back