• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Urban myths about Raccoon Dogs (and other mammals) (1 Viewer)

Sangahyando

Germany
There's this recurring notion on the internet about Raccoon Dogs being able to climb, or even good climbers. However, I've never found that confirmed in the literature and judging from their physiology, it doesn't look very plausible. Admittedly, I haven't dug very deep. Is there anything to it or is it just a persistent myth made up by people who cannot seem to distinguish between a raccoon and a dog?

Speaking of raccoons, there's also this notion that Raccoon Dogs were somehow as close as, or closer, to procyonids (i.e. raccoons) than to other, actual, dogs. This seems to be founded on a misinterpretation of phylogeny.

They cannot, normally.

However, I saw with my own eyes a Red Fox which was kept in a cage designed for climbing animals in a zoo. The fox learned to run along thin branches like a marten.

They cannot, normally.

However, I saw with my own eyes a Red Fox which was kept in a cage designed for climbing animals in a zoo. The fox learned to run along thin branches like a marten.

Red Foxes are agile, they will both climb over and run along the top of garden fences. Not so sure about Raccoon Dogs!

John

Last year, raccoon dogs swam over to an island located in a reservoir in Incheon, Korea and ate all the eggs and chicks of a Black-faced Spoonbill colony on the island. This year, local officials built a fence around the island. This year, no raccoon dogs and lots of baby spoonbills .....

Mind you, I think they may have electrified the fence, too :)

If raccoon dogs were as close or closer to procyonids as other canids, then they would have to be transferred to procyonids, or the two families would need to be merged. As you say, not phylogenetically possible.

Last year, raccoon dogs swam over to an island located in a reservoir in Incheon, Korea and ate all the eggs and chicks of a Black-faced Spoonbill colony on the island. This year, local officials built a fence around the island. This year, no raccoon dogs and lots of baby spoonbills .....

Mind you, I think they may have electrified the fence, too :)

First one I saw was swimming across a channel in the reedbeds at Siikalahti in Finland, they seem to be very competent and confident swimmers.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back