• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

S. Thailand Drongo - ashy or bronzed? (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, would anyone be able to tell me if this is a bronzed or ashy drongo? It was about 20 feet off the ground and would swoop to feed and return to the branch.
The photo was taken in Hat Yai, South Thailand, on July 14, 2020 at about 6pm.
thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_ce0.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_ce0.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 16
  • fullsizeoutput_d65.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_d65.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 18
  • fullsizeoutput_d66.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_d66.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 13
  • fullsizeoutput_d67.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_d67.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 8
I don't think it's Bronzed - the build and head and bill shape don't look quite right, and the plumage ought to look more glossy, even if the images are taken against the light. It looks most like Ashy as the tail doesn't look long enough for Black, there's a matt greyish tinge to the plumage and there doesn't appear to be a white rictal spot.

Hi Andy, thanks for the comments. I had thought (hoped:)) that maybe bronzed because of what seemed to be the shallow forked tail, oh well.
thanks again
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back