• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

garden spider (1 Viewer)

billy

this wee beauty is living in my garden shed. she's quite a size about 2 inches span. think its Larinioides sclopetarius but i may be wrong

Spider...

Wow, takes my breath away, we have some fairly big spiders in our house but nothing as splendid as that!!

El Annie

spider

as she's in the shed, there's not much in the way of passing food, so i catch blowflies and other winged beasties to feed her. maybe its ethically wrong but it's facinating watching her detect, bite and wrap up her prey

It's not a Garden Cross Spider, is it? Ariadne diadamatus...think i've spelt that right! Have not got a book to hand! Whatever she is, she's absolutely gorgeous!
I adore spiders...just as well as we always have them coming in from the garden! We were on holiday in the Lake District about a month ago and I went around the house with a clear plastic tub to collect all the 'stray' spiders up and put them outside...my husband thinks i'm nuts!!! At the moment we have an extremely large House Spider( Tegenaria domestica) patrolling around. I've seen him on and off for a few weeks, normally upstairs, but he seems to be more lively at the moment! I was reading today though that it's the breeding season for house spiders and they are much more active now...he's obviously looking for a wife!!! I assume 'my' spider is a male as 'he' has massive palps...
I was on the Bird Forum on Friday night from 9pm onwards(after Gardeners World!) and kept imagining that I was seeing something moving rapidly out of the corner of my eye...I put it down to just being tired! Then, just as I was winding up for the night I saw a giant(!) spider run across the wooden floor and stop on the rug.......had to leave a note out for hubby to watch his feet when he got back from the pub!!!

I've got a smaller version of the same spider living in one of my window boxes Billy and have been fascinated by her for weeks. Glad to see someone else has one too - they are gorgeous!

Gill we have laminated flooring in our living room and some of the "common or garden" spiders are absolutely huge up here too. The first time my 20 year old daughter saw one she was convinced that what she had seen was a mouse - purely because of the size and the speed it moved at - you should have seen her face when she discovered that her "mouse" was actually one BIG spider. Frankly I think she would have prefered it to have been a mouse.

I am living in fear at the moment, as I am waiting for the humongous house spider to appear. Sorry folks, but I just can't hack these things, although I would never harm them.

We also have loads of the garden spiders at the moment, outside where they belong! That doesn't bother me, but as soon as one steps into the house, that's it.

Last year, I was carrying a pile of ironing upstairs to be ironed. I placed a pair of jeans onto the ironing board, and lo and behold out of the jeans crawls one of the house spiders. I couldn't move. I stood there frozen for about an hour before hubby came home and tried to catch it, but it was too quick. I still look around now for it.

The fear of spiders outside in the garden is lessening now, thank God, but those huge house spiders - I'll never get used to them.

H

For those who love spiders, as I do, and those who can't handle them, a useful tip! I may be wrong in this, but I have noticed with the 'mouse-sized' house spiders, that they go along the same path, roughly, across the same bit of floor at the same times every day. (Or am I imagining this?)

Hi Helen,
I don't even know the proper name for them, I'm afraid, but the ones I see have up to marrowfat-pea sized dark or black bodies, and very long "Daddy-long-legs" type legs with clearly defined 'kneepads'. They also 'weigh something' when you pick them up, whereas most spiders just tickle. Sorry for the completely unscientific account! I usually just pick them up and put them out if the weather's ok, or ignore them if it's cold or wet.

I held a Red Corn Snake yesterday, he was gorgeous. His name was Monty. Spiders, snakes, easy-peasy! People on the other hand scare the **** out of me! :hippy:

it seems that the giant ( house spider )? is colonising its way north. it's suppose to have a leg span of 4 inches. now thats scary. its moths that send me in a panic. sheer terror! big fluttering, in your hair,always about your head aaaahhhhhh

Give me snakes anyday. Spiders really do get to me ok Iam sh*t
scared. the son in law has got one of these bloody great hairy
things in a glass vivarium, he knows I wont go in if the thing is on view maybe hes trying to tell me something!!
bert.

It's not the body that gets to me, it's those loooooooong loooong legs.urgghhh. Makes no difference whether they are poisonous or not! A spider is a spider.

Bert - you mean you haven't got the message yet! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back