• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juv. Crested Hawk Eagle, Wilpatu, Sri Lanka 27 Nov (1 Viewer)

Andy Hurley

Gotta love nature!
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Is this juvenile Crested Hawk Eagle? It was in Wilpatu National Park, Sri Lanka on 27 Nov 2018. Unfortunately I have no photos of its breast.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• ARD_9813.jpg
    ARD_9813.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 55
My uncertainty and thus my op was due to it being my first Crested Hawk-eagle. (Some authorities split this from changeable.) Not that I'm claiming an armchair tick though, as I haven't seen the necessary ssps of Changeable. I have the Helm Guide to Birds of Sri Lanka, and difficulty of separating juvenile Crested and juvenile Legge's Hawk-eagle made my decision only possible on range. The much smaller Jerdon's Baza was also excluded on range only. Without seeing the front of the bird, it became more difficult to decide what it was. Thanks again Mark and Grahame for the confirmation.

I'm not quite sure what juvenile Legge's looks like, as there are a number of photos and even one YouTube video on the net which are actually juvenile Crested (the pale area on the coverts mentioned by Grahame is the giveaway). I suspect it's a darker and more heavily-marked bird, if this immature is anything to go by:

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=890&Bird_Image_ID=23106

It's confined to upland forested areas in Sri Lanka.

Jerdon's Baza is a smaller, more compact bird, the juvenile with gingery tones on head and neck, a shorter crest and large orange eye. It's found in similar habitat to Legge's.

The attached photo is one of presumed Crested Hawk Eagle taken at Udawalawe a few years ago. It looks similar to the OP's bird.
Please does anyone know if mine is indeed a crested hawk eagle juvenile too?

Attachments

• crested hawk eagle.jpg
    crested hawk eagle.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 14
I'm not quite sure what juvenile Legge's looks like, as there are a number of photos and even one YouTube video on the net which are actually juvenile Crested (the pale area on the coverts mentioned by Grahame is the giveaway). I suspect it's a darker and more heavily-marked bird, if this immature is anything to go by:

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=890&Bird_Image_ID=23106

It's confined to upland forested areas in Sri Lanka.

Andy, juvenile Legge's is much warmer, more rufescent below as can be seen in Fig3a in this excellent article which is described in more detail last para p57 main text https://www.researchgate.net/publication/255616565_An_overlooked_threatened_species_of_eagle_Legge's_Hawk_Eagle_Nisaetus_kelaarti_Aves_Accipitriformes Note also that, compared to CHE, there are clear differences in structure which are even more apparent in Legge's than MHE, which include more massive bill, claws and longer tail, the latter enhancing short-winged appearance at rest TABLE 1. Also note the tarsi feathering extends onto the toes but less so than MHE.

Grahame

Thanks Andy and Grahame for the links and your insight. This is the reason that Birdforum is my first choice for birding questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back