• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile Scissor-tail Flycatcher (1 Viewer)

little liza

We had one pair of Scissor-tail Flycatchers nesting this year, and this is one of their nestlings.

Attachments

• juvie flycatcher.JPG
    juvie flycatcher.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 146
Very nice shot of this juvie. I love Scissor-tails, but have yet to get a decent shot. Wish it was the state bird of Texas instead of a Mockingbird.

THanks Lisa. They are difficult to get good shots of, especially in movement, because they are so agile and my camera and its user are so slow. I managed to get a fair shot of one of the adults yesterday afternoon.

Attachments

• flycatcher2.JPG
    flycatcher2.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 92
Nice shot of the adult. I like the light rose color when they are mature.

Tero- I have to see a male and female sitting side by side to know which is which. |:D|
I've never seen another variety in which the sexes were so similar in appearance.

Yes, this was odd. But she was the female, she spent more time at the nest. And she was obviously a parent, eventually the young were her size and the tails not much less.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back