Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 24th September 2004, 13:16   #1

Night Vision Scope/Bins

Anyone use night vision optics for oberving roosting birds/general wildlife?

I would appreciate any recommendations as there is a bewildering range of options and prices.

Many thanks
Old Friday 24th September 2004, 16:10   #2

I think there are three generations of technology. For example basic cheaper gear is generation 1 technology and cost arround 170, where as the top of the range (the stuff the army buy) is 3rd generation technology, 1,500.

Most products are fairly priced, and have spec regarding the viewing range, magnification etc.

I'm looking int othis myself for deer watching but still unsure.
Old Friday 24th September 2004, 17:16   #3
geordie birder

i have owned a night-vision monocular for about 8yrs now, and it is an amazing piece of kit! however, mine is first generation (350pounds) and find its best used for close range (only 4x mag). even the binoculars are only around 8x mag, and you still stuggle to make things out because of the green display!. second generation night-vision is the best, but they start at a grand! so a scope or binocular will be mega costly. plus you cant really try before you buy, unless the shop has a dark cellar! i reccommend you look at reviews on the net before splashing your cash.

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: