• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x lenses (optical zoom). (1 Viewer)

helenol

In a previous post I made on the Olympus forum, I mentioned I was thinking of buying the 740 (probably now the 750)

However, there is so much choice, things are becoming a little hazy for me.

The main attraction for me is the 10xlenses of the 750.

I'm not asking for a specific recommendation (I realise it's a personal choice, after all), but does anyone know of another camera with a similar zoom with which I can compare like for like?

Thanks
H

Hm!

Canon used to do the Pro90IS which had the same 10x as the Olympus C2100UZ with Image Stabiliser - but with 2.3 MP. Some people preferred it over the C2100UZ and it certainly gave excellent results. There was a rumour going around that Canon may be relaunching this model upgraded but I don't know the truth of the matter.

One thing to bear in mind with using '?x' descriptions. Some manufacturers may start their range at say 28mm but others at say 36mm or 50mm equivalent and then add 10x - so 10x one one model even in Olympus cameras is not the same as 10x in another model!

Sometimes the manufactureers give the 35mm equivalent. I think Olympus quoted 380mm for the 10x on the OlyC2100UZ.

In other words an 8x in say Sony maybe the saem as or more that 10x in Olympus. Sony have some excellent longer zoom cameras on the market too - if a little dearer than the Oly.

I hear that Minolta has a new one out. The Dimage Z1 is 10X optical and is a digital slr. I have found it on several sites for $399.

Fuji are launching the S5000 next month that has a 10x lens. Panasonic's Lumix DMC-FZ1 has a 12x Leica lens and image stabilisation - unfortunately it's only 2 mega pixels!

saluki

The fuji looks really good except for two points (in my opinion)

1) Relatively high minimum ISO (160)
2) The slowest shutter speed is only 2 seconds...not good if you plan on any night shots

The Minolta certainly looks to be a tempting specification, even down to the AA batteries. An f2,8 lens is pretty fast and ISO down to 50. The only downside is the SD/MMC memory cards which would mean me getting yet another. It takes a wide angle converter so it may take a tele converter too, though with an external zoom operation this isn't obvious. I like the TTL viewfinder option, one of the features about the OlyC2100UZ that I really like. Only thing lacking is an image stabiliser and a simple manual focus system which I couldn't find mentioned.

Ugly design though quite compact and very good price.

I agree with Paul about the Fuji, a lower minimum ISO number is better than a higher one. I don't know about the newer cameras now available but my experience is that digital and long exposures don't go well together. For one thing they seem to struggle to focus properly in dull conditions and secondly hot pixels can become a problem on longer exposures.

I know a few things about this topic. Helen, I have the CanonPro90. It is still for sale at a number of stores, though has been out of production for a while. Unfortunately, there is no replacement being contemplated for the Pro90. Ian is correct, in that it has a 10X with IS, and Oly bought the rights for it for use on their U2100. Canon has a very good reputation, and though out of production, would highly recommend this camera. Pound for pound (ounce of ounce?) it is hard to beat the price of this camera. However, that Minolta is worth looking into. Though I would not go for it due to the memory cards.

With the Fuji, their ISO 160 may be equivalent to a lower ISO in the cameras we use. I have seen a number of photos out of the Fuji S2, using 800 ISO, and it was amazing.

The Fuji S2 is a little different though because it's a DSLR. This means it's sensor size is quite a bit bigger than a consumer digicam (larger sensor = less noise).

As for longer exposures. The newer cams have noise reduction which seems to help quite a bit. I've used a 16 second exposure on my Oly C700 (no noise reduction) and run it through neat image (noise reduction program) and got acceptable results.

Paul

I have an olympus 2100 uz what i want to know is if it is possible to attach a leica apo 77 televid scope to it with good results ?

Glazzers,

Well, first if you have not been welcomed yet, on behalf of the moderators welcome aboard. IanF has the Oly 2100uz, so you might want to send him a PM (private message). My understanding is that the lens opening/diameter is too big for really good results. However, you can use the Oly TCON 17 (aka B-300) with it with good results. He would know for sure.

Hi Glazzers,

Brian is correct on both I have the C2100UZ and it isn't much use for digiscoping, certinly noy with my Kowa 823. You can take photos through the scope but the vignetting is extreme at lower zoom lengths and the camera magnification too extreme at the higher zoom lengths.

The Tcon17 or the B300 as I have, is a 1.7x teleconverter which boosts the focal length with little loss in light or quality.

thanks to you all for the information. I finally went for the C750UZ, and am expecting it sometime in mid September - or is that the same as "The cheque's in the post"? :)

thanks again.

Helen

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back