• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa Binoculars 10x50 (1 Viewer)

Ysterkvisten

Hi
I just bought an old pair of porro Kowa 10x50 Field 7,2. Says Fully Coated Triple tested. No. 821484.
Does anyone know anything about them?
They are just amazing by the way.
Thanks guys

Janne

Last edited:
I used to have a Swift Newport Mk II which was also Japanese made. It had a very wide FOV, slightly wider than the Kowa's.
Despite the "Fully Coated" statement, it was not astonishingly bright. It also suffered from a vicious blue tint of the image. My Victory FL 10x32 is in fact brighter and sharper and has a sufficiently wide FOV. However, it is at the other end of the price range.
I believe your Kowa is better than the Swift. Grattis!

//L

Thanks.
They are really really good, but needed a lot of cleaning as they were somewhat sandy.
Managed to get them clean and now they perform excellent but the focus knob is still a bit stiff at times.
Searching this forum didn't give me much info on them I'm afraid.
Bought them at Myrorna for 345SEK. A bargain in my book.
Hope my new Helios Fieldmaster that is in the mail will be equally good.
Cheers

Hej

Yes the ED60.

I read all about it here and it seemed like the best bang for the buck.
I liked that it seemed light, an excellent performer and I'm not to fond of running with everybody else in the Kowa/Nikon/Swarowski band just yet.

I'm sure I read your comments on it as well.
I like what you have to say in a lot of threads.
/Janne

The only Kowa optics I've looked through was a spotting scope. It was very good indeed. Compared well with a Swarovski ATM65HD.

Try posting this in the vintage/classic binoculars thread in the "others" sub forum. Simon S is our most notable vintage porro guru. He may have more info.

Oh, now you don't have to go and give me a big head. :)

Glad I could/have helped. I have owned quite a few vintage porros but none of the 10x50s. Wish I could help more.

My Kowas weighs in at 2,10lb or 1,200g.
Not something you keep in your pocket all day.

I'm sure it's not the first Thanks you get Frank, and sure not the last.
You are also to blame (or thank) for the Helios Fieldmaster that is in the mail from U.K.

Not yet.
Eventually, I'm sure I will be running around yelling "The bells, the beeeells", but I compensate with a light spotting scope for as long as I can.

Quasimodo

L , it arrived today. Picked it up when it was already dark.
All I can tell is that it weighs less than my Kowa binos, and that is pretty light for a scope.
1130g.
Will try it tomorrow morning before I leave for work. A better trial will be on Sunday.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back