• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscopy - Inconsistent results, and I do not understand why (1 Viewer)

The-Wanderer

Digiscopy - Inconsistent results, and I do not understand why.

I am relatively new to the forum and to digiscopy, although not to photography.

I have bought the following used:
(a) a Swarovski HD ATS80 with the 20to60 zoom eyepiece,
(b) a Canon S90 camera, and
( c) a Swarovski DCA adapter to connect to the Canon.

This last connects via a 'Universal*Adapter*for*Canon', which I have found it necessary to modify

It all works so I cannot fault the equipment

I have installed CHDK and am using a wired remote and manual focus with the self timer, using single shot mode.

I take 5 shots. Two, maybe three are sharp enough, one particularly so, but the rest are not.

The camera is on a tripod, the rig is balanced and is located within the shelter of my lounge with the patio door ajar.

I can see the cut logs of branches of a tree that was recently felled and am photographing these. There is a crack radiating from the core of a branch and the rings are clearly visible. I focus using the 10x magnifier of the Canon.

I do not understand why the shots, in a group, are not equally sharp. I can detect no consistent pattern to the sharpness, or blur of the shots.

Constructive comments and suggestions would be welcome.

Wanderer

I find that shooting from indoors through an open door/window will show up air currents as warm air from the building exits the open door/window. These will blur some images and not others as the air currents are constantly changing. Sometimes I just sit with the scope and look through an eyepiece through an open door/window and can see the effect visually. This time of year especially there will be maybe a 10 or 15 degrees Celsius difference between the interior and exterior, maybe even more on colder days.

Best to move the whole rig outside and try the same experiment again.

Paul.

A common mistake is to zoom the camera too much.

Try using the eyepiece at about 30-40x and just zooming the camera to about 1x magnification.

The images will be small, but on cropping are usually sharper than if more camera zoom was used.

Remember to keep your shutter speed as high as possible by adjusting ISO.

Paul,

Although it is another bright day, there is a strong breeze blowing here. Even so, from the images I have taken, I am fairly confident that your solution was correct. Thank you.

I was a little disheartened by looking at your website shots of BIF. How you managed to track the birds, focus the scope and take the shots is beyond me! They are marvellous shots.

The Wanderer

Digiscopy - Inconsistent results, and I do not understand why.

I am relatively new to the forum and to digiscopy, although not to photography.

I have bought the following used:
(a) a Swarovski HD ATS80 with the 20to60 zoom eyepiece,
(b) a Canon S90 camera, and
( c) a Swarovski DCA adapter to connect to the Canon.

This last connects via a 'Universal*Adapter*for*Canon', which I have found it necessary to modify

It all works so I cannot fault the equipment

I have installed CHDK and am using a wired remote and manual focus with the self timer, using single shot mode.

I take 5 shots. Two, maybe three are sharp enough, one particularly so, but the rest are not.

The camera is on a tripod, the rig is balanced and is located within the shelter of my lounge with the patio door ajar.

I can see the cut logs of branches of a tree that was recently felled and am photographing these. There is a crack radiating from the core of a branch and the rings are clearly visible. I focus using the 10x magnifier of the Canon.

I do not understand why the shots, in a group, are not equally sharp. I can detect no consistent pattern to the sharpness, or blur of the shots.

Constructive comments and suggestions would be welcome.

Wanderer

As Paul mentioned you might have some "heat haze" distortion going on. There could be vibration coming through the floor if it's not concrete. A breeze from outside could be vibrating the tripod. A mechanical remote ( depressing the shutter) can cause vibration on first and last frame in a sequence, although I'm assuming your remote is electronic.
It helps to see a photo of your setup and a photo of the worst of your results for a more detailed assessment.
Neil.

Paul, Neil,

I took some more test shots today (sunny day and no wind), from outside the house. I am pleased to confirm that inconsistency between shots is not readily discernible.

I am very content.

the Wanderer

Paul, Neil,

I took some more test shots today (sunny day and no wind), from outside the house. I am pleased to confirm that inconsistency between shots is not readily discernible.

I am very content.

the Wanderer

Good news. Happy digiscoping.
Neil

Hi Neil. Please see my posted message on your nex7 forum. We have common interests and I hope we may be able to share useful ideas. John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back