• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x43 HG vs 10x42 BR and question about diopter adjustment (1 Viewer)

Glimmer

Hi birders!

It seems that anyone had post that sharpness and contrast of 10x42 BD BR are better than 10x43 new HG. Anybody has tested both models?

And other thing: Diopter adjustment in BR is +/- 4 dpt and only +/- 2 dpt in HG. I don´t understand this concept and I don't know how it could affect to me: I use glasses, but when I look throught a bin I don´t wear them. I have 4,5 grades short-sightedness, so are not HG model for me?

Sometines I use soft lenses, often more when I'm birding.

Thanks!

Good birding

The diopter adjustment is to compensate for differences between left and right eyes, so +/-2 should not pose a problem.
However, if you normally require -4,5 diopters correction and are viewing without glasses, there is a possibility that you may not be able to achieve focus at infinity and a personal test is therefore necessary.
BTW, a friend of mine owns both 8x42BD and 8x43HG. He considers the HG to be brighter so his wife gets to use the BD.

John

The diopter adjustment is to compensate for differences between left and right eyes, so +/-2 should not pose a problem.
However, if you normally require -4,5 diopters correction and are viewing without glasses, there is a possibility that you may not be able to achieve focus at infinity and a personal test is therefore necessary.
BTW, a friend of mine owns both 8x42BD and 8x43HG. He considers the HG to be brighter so his wife gets to use the BD.

John

Thanks!

Now I'm understand the diopter adjustment. My eyes don't have 2 diopter difference one with each other!

Yes, when I'm viewing without glasses in my 10x bins the magnification I get is less than 10x (and less sharpness too)

The other issue: HG brightness is superior (as I read in all reviews), but I´m interested in sharpness and contrast. I'll try HG with Zeiss FL and I'll post the differences...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back