• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new Minolta dslr - Dynax 5D (2 Viewers)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I see that Konica-Minolta have a new digital slr on the way (haven't seen a date or price yet).

From what I've read the Dynax 5D is much like the 7D - it's a 6mp camera which has Minolta's Anti-Shake system. It is small and lighter (why are camera manufacturers so obsessed by reducing the size of dslrs?) than the 7D and has a few less controls. The camera has a massive 2.5" screen which should make reviewing images a pleasure. It has a 1.5x crop factor and will shot at a rate of 3fps (for 10 frames - shooting large jpg).

It looks like this is Minolta's answer to the Canon 350D and the Nikon D50, so presumably the price will be comparable (if not I think Minolta will have made a big mistake). Let's hope Minolta get it out soon, so as not to miss the boat again - they seem to have been very slow getting into the dslr market. Had this camera been out a year ago I might not have switched from Minolta (film) to Canon (digital)...

Here's the link to it on the Konica-Minolta website - lots more info and some pictures...
http://konicaminolta.com/products/consumer/digital_camera/slr/5d/

Digiscoping with Minolta 5D

I have just purchased the Minolta 5D and wondered whether anyone has any experience of digiscoping with this model? I also have a Nikon 80a spotting scope. I am new to digiscoping (have had a go at hand held) but would love to purchase an adaptor so I can use my spotting scope either with the Minolta 5D or splash out on more suitable (cheaper) digital camera. Any help anyone can give will be very gratefully received.

postcardcv said:
I see that Konica-Minolta have a new digital slr on the way (haven't seen a date or price yet).

From what I've read the Dynax 5D is much like the 7D - it's a 6mp camera which has Minolta's Anti-Shake system. It is small and lighter (why are camera manufacturers so obsessed by reducing the size of dslrs?) than the 7D and has a few less controls. The camera has a massive 2.5" screen which should make reviewing images a pleasure. It has a 1.5x crop factor and will shot at a rate of 3fps (for 10 frames - shooting large jpg).

It looks like this is Minolta's answer to the Canon 350D and the Nikon D50, so presumably the price will be comparable (if not I think Minolta will have made a big mistake). Let's hope Minolta get it out soon, so as not to miss the boat again - they seem to have been very slow getting into the dslr market. Had this camera been out a year ago I might not have switched from Minolta (film) to Canon (digital)...

Here's the link to it on the Konica-Minolta website - lots more info and some pictures...
http://konicaminolta.com/products/consumer/digital_camera/slr/5d/

Celia100 said:
I have just purchased the Minolta 5D and wondered whether anyone has any experience of digiscoping with this model? I also have a Nikon 80a spotting scope. I am new to digiscoping (have had a go at hand held) but would love to purchase an adaptor so I can use my spotting scope either with the Minolta 5D or splash out on more suitable (cheaper) digital camera. Any help anyone can give will be very gratefully received.

Although some people do digiscope with dslr's I have never been able to get on with it. Generally people use a 50mm lens on an slr when digiscoping and some do get very good results. Obviously attaching your dslr to the back of your scope adds a lot of weight and makes the set up very back heavy. Personally I use my dslr and long lens for most of my bird photograhy, but use a small (cheap) digital camera for digiscoping. I have recently looked into cheap digiscoping options, I have a digiscoping set up that cost under £125 for the camera, adapter and a 512mb memory card - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=44480

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back