• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Myiobius atricaudus snethlagei (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Just want to give this for discussion as it might be correct from OD here as mentioned in the key.

subsp. Myiobius atricaudus (Beolens et al., 2014, list Dr Emil Heinrich Snethlage (1897-1939) German zoologist, as the person commemorated here;

So we talk about Dr. Emil-Heinrich Snethlage. In here we find

Nahezu ohne Mittel wagte er im März 1923 die Fahrt nach Pará, im Vertrauen darauf, dass seine Tante drüben auf ihn warte, um ihn in die Methodik der wissenschaftlichen Forscherarbeit einzuführen und die erforderlichen Verbindungen herzustellen. Es währte auch wirklich nicht lange, bis das glückte. Professor C. E. Hellmayr, damals seit kurzem Leiter der ornithologischen Abteilung des Field-Museums in Chicago, interessierte sich für die Pläne unseres Enthusiasten und ermutigte ihn zur Ausführung einer grossen Sammelreise durch die brasilianischen Staaten Maranhão, Ceará, Piauhy und Goyaz, von der er erst im April 1926, nach fast 3 Jahren, an den Ausgangspunkt zurückkehrte.

All that would support Beolens et al., 2014. He was between 1923 and 1926 collecting in the area and C. E. Hellmayr (describer of holotype) encouraged him to do so. The H. can be Heinrich or Herr (both is possible). And finally -i instead of -ae in snethlagei might indicate a dedication to a man and not to his aunt Henriette Mathilde Maria Elisabeth Emilie Snethlage.

Take it for what's worth.

Last edited:
Here are the details of the type, as per the museum's database: https://collections-zoology.fieldmuseum.org/catalogue/780856. (Note collection date here is 28 Jun 1925, not 28 Jun 1924 as in the OD.)

(There are 1618 specimens in this database attributed to "H. Snethlage", vs. 43 attributed to "E. Snethlage". A few of the H. Snethlage's specimens have pics, including of the labels, which look like [this]. Any sample of Emilie Snethlage's handwriting online ? I can only find her signature right now, which doesn't really look similar -- but a mere signature may not be representative of how someone writes regular text.)

Arguably more so than her signature, I'd say ;)
(It's of course the collector's label that you have to look, the one on the rear which is written in German. "Iris: schwarz" etc.)

Last edited:
Some clearer images, including "H. Snethlage" on the collector's labels, here:
Surely she would not have marked her own labels "H. Snethlage" ?
Note also in comparison to Emilie's signature, i.a.: the 'S' is obviously not the same, but also the 't' is completely different -- Emilie writes the main vertical line upwards (with a loop at the top to form the horizontal bar), in "H."'s name it is written downwards.

I also note that Emil-Heinrich signed the obituary of his aunt, in J. Ornithol. in 1930 ([pdf] -- signature at the end of the main text, p. 132) "Heinrich Snethlage". Thus "H. Snethlage" was certainly to be expected for him.
He also published a series of 3 papers in J. Ornithol. about his travels in Brazil (which don't seem to be available freely online, unfortunately), also under the same name of Heinrich Snethlage:

Towards the end of the first paper, p. 481, we can read:
Die gewonnenen Ergebnisse wird Herr C. E. HELLMAYR wohl in den Berichten des Field-Museums, Chicago, veröffentlichen.
(This was in the July 1927 issue of J. Ornithol.; the Tyrannidae part of the Catalogue where Hellmayr described the bird was published in April 1927; Heinrich may not have been aware of it yet when he wrote the above.)

In both other papers (1928), he mentioned Myiobius atricaudus snethlagei Hellmayr:
- in the second paper, p. 531, in a table summarizing his observations, where the bird is indicated as occurring in 7 out of 13 listed forest habitat types.
- in the third paper, p. 718, where he noted about it:
Ich habe diesen Tyrannen niemals auf die von REISER beschriebenen Weise tanzen sehen, obwohl ich ihn häufig genug beobachten konnte.
This in any case indicates he had met with the bird many times.

Last edited:
It might be worth to check...

Pinto, O. M. de O. (1938). Nova contribuciao a ornithologia Amazonica. Revista do Museu Paulista, 23, 493-604
. p. 542

.. as here the name is written as Odontophorus gujanensis snethlagei and not snethlageae.

The rest of the key are defintely for his aunt (I checked them all with one exception Hemitriccus minor snethlageae (Snethlage, EH, 1937)). I doubt that it is Orn.Monatsb. 45 p.193 as mentioned in Avibase.

We can find the OD p. 174-175 Ein neuer Tyrannide aus Amazonien.

Last edited:
I will post this without any major revisions (simply as I was typing away, in a separate document, off-line, at the same time as Laurent and Martin posted their latest additions to this thread) ... pretty hard to keep up the pace. ;) Thereby, take if for what it is worth (even if a bit messy). Hopefully you will understand my drift.

First, back to the original Topic; ... if the ssp. Myiobius atricaudus snethlagei (OD in post #1), a k a Snethlage's Myobius, is "Heinrich's" or "Emilie's" ditto, I simply do not know (this bird is not "one of mine"), but I tend to believe it was aimed at (Emil) Heinrich* Snethlage (1897–1939), nephew of the well-known Emilie ... and onwards.

Richmond card here: "Named for H. Snethlage."

Even if this bird apparently was (as also/equally claimed in the OD) collected by "H. Snethlage" (which talks strongly in favour of Mr. Snethlage), I would add (simply to complicate things); see the comment by Hellmayr himself, in A Contribution to the Ornithology of Norteastern Brazil, 1929, only two years after the OD, (here, same book as in Laurent's post #8), in the very entry for: "136. Myiobius atricaudus snethlagei Hellmayr" (on p.316), where we, in the footnote (on the subsequent page) find the following phrase:
"M. [Myiobius] barbatus xanthopygius" and "M. barbatus," lately recorded by Madame Snethlage ... probably refer to this form".

Also note that several Papers by the latter lady, Emile Snethlage, was/is referred to in Hellmayr's Original Catalogue (of 1927, first link, post #1), which would talk in favour of her ... (see/use the "Search Inside" function). As well note that Emilie Snethlage 's full name was: Henriette Mathilde Maria Elisabeth Emilie Snethlage (though I strongly doubt, or even refuse to believe, that she would have used "H." as a sole Initial).

If relevant?

Either way, to me, this far, it looks like snethlagei could have been intended for (Emil) Heinrich Snethlage [this also as Mr Hellmayr seems to have been a guy who normally knew his Latin genitive endings], versus all the birds by the name snethlageae, which doubtless commemorate Emilie Snethlage.

If snethlagei truly does commemorate Heinrich ... well, that's beyond me.

Either way, I concur/agree in Martin's suggestion/reguest, that it would be interesting to see the OD of the "Odontophorus gujanensis snethlagei" PINTO 1938, in Revista do Museo Paulista 23 (p.542).

Anyone who have seen it?

Björn

PS. Possibly equally noteworthy, is that (Emil) Henrich Snethlage described the ssp. of Snethlage's Tody Tyrant Hemitriccus minor snethlageae, as "Snethlagea minor snethlageae" in 1937 (here, pp.174-175), commemorating [twice (!), if we include the Generic name] his well-known Aunt (collector of the Type, in 1911, additional specimens collected by himself, in 1934).

The today invalid generic name "Snethlagea" VON BERLEPSCH 1909 (Syn. Hemitriccus) does, without a doubt, commemorate Emilie:
"... zu Ehren der ausgezeichneten und sehr verdienten Ornithologin Fräulein Dr. E. Snethlage ...".

*I would say that Mr. Snethlage's name (most likely) ought to be written without the hyphen (not with, as it have been done in quite a few Papers) . If he truly had a double, hyphenated given name, he would have signed his labels E.-H. Snethlage, wouldn't he? Also compare how the name was written in his Obituary (here), by Stresemann, who uses both versions (!): "Emil-Heinrich Snethlage" and "E. H. Snethlage". Also compare how his name was written (here), in Zeitschrift für Ethnologie, by "E. Heinrich Snethlage" himself. Alt. here (by his Son Dr Roger Michael Snethlage), who also uses both version (either with hyphen, and/or not!) ... and elsewhere.

Maybe it's time (for anyone keen) to check his Birth cerificate/record? If so; from "Bremerhaven" (alt. Bremerhafen).

--

Last edited:
Odontophorus gujanensis snethlagei

I tried to find this one as well earlier, but no joy. (I have seen at least half a dozen of different spellings for the title; I think the correct one is "Nova contribuição à ornitologia amazônica.")

The Richmond Index card for this name indicates as types two specimens, 16436 and 16435, from Rio Manacapuru. Geographically, this is the state of Amazonas, which might seem to be more "within the scope" of Emilie. But she didn't collect the types (the birds were collected in Sep 1936 by someone named Camargo according to Pinto 1938 [here]).

This may just be a subjective view, but somehow I would also not expect Hellmayr to have used -i for a female dedicatee. No clear idea about Pinto.

Last edited:
collected in Sep 1936 by someone named Camargo according to Pinto 1938 [here]).

Probably not him him as he seems to young in 1936. But might be a relative to Pintos wife Alice Alves de Camargo.

I
PS. Possibly equally noteworthy, is that (Emil) Henrich Snethlage described the ssp. of Snethlage's Tody Tyrant Hemitriccus minor snethlageae, as "Snethlagea minor snethlageae" in 1937 (here, pp.174-175), commemorating [twice (!), if we include the Generic name] his well-known Aunt (collector of the Type, in 1911, additional specimens collected by himself, in 1934).

The today invalid generic name "Snethlagea" VON BERLEPSCH 1909 (Syn. Hemitriccus) does, without a doubt, commemorate Emilie:

To make it a little bit more complete:

This interesting bird is not entirely unrecorded. In 1913 (Jour.furOrn.,LXI,p.527), Dr. Emilia Snethlage gave some critical notes on a form of Campyloramphus, different from procurvoides and apparently of the trochilirostris group which she found at Faro and Monte Alegre in the "varzea" or inundated forest where procurvoides was not found.

Etymology. The scientific name P. snethlageae honors Dra Emilia Snethlage who first recognized the distinctiveness of these populations (Snethlage 1914) and who pioneered modern studies of the Amazonian avifauna. The vernacular name refers to the occurrence of this bird strictly within the drainage of the Rio Madeira.

Fräulein Dr. E. Snethlage, die durch ihre ornithologischen Expeditionenen und Publikationen rühmlichst bekannte Vorsteherin des Zoologischen Instituts in Pará, hat auf ihren letztjährigen Reisen im Gebiet des Rio Tapajoz und des Rio Xingú eine große Sammlung von Vogelbälgen fur das Museum Goeldi zusammengebracht, worunter sich viele für dieses Gebiet noch nicht nachgewiesene Arten und auch einige neue Formen befanden.

Last edited:
Odontophorus gujanensis snethlagei

I tried to find this one as well earlier, but no joy. (I have seen at least half a dozen of different spellings for the title; I think the correct one is "Nova contribuição à ornitologia amazônica.")

The Richmond Index card for this name indicates as types two specimens, 16436 and 16435, from Rio Manacapuru. Geographically, this is the state of Amazonas, which might seem to be more "within the scope" of Emilie. But she didn't collect the types (the birds were collected in Sep 1936 by someone named Camargo according to Pinto 1938 [here]).

This may just be a subjective view, but somehow I would also not expect Hellmayr to have used -i for a female dedicatee. No clear idea about Pinto.

Maybe we're just led astray by that Richmond card (and its "Revista do Museo Paulista, Tomo XXIII") ... !?

According to Pinto's Bibliography (here) the Paper "Nova Contribuição à Ornithologia Amazonica" (Estudio crítico de ...), is found in Revista do Museo Paulista 22, pp. 493-604 ... !? ... which leads us; here (p.542 is the Indice/Index, of the same volume as in Laurent's latter link, in Post #11, or in the quote above)!

But on that certain page (542) we find only the nominate "gujanensis, Odontophorus". Sigh! Make sense? Not to me ;)

Either way no trace (at least not that I can find) of a "Odontophorus gujanensis snethlagei", not in that particular volume, neither on p.542, nor on p.104. And; note, this volume ends at p.561.

Also see this piece on Recent Litterature, from The Auk 55 (4), 1938, p.696:
PINTO, OLIVERIO: Nova contribuição á ornithologia Amazonica. ... Revista do Museu Paulista, 23: 493-604, Jan. 14, 1938. — ... Of the many species listed, the following are described as new: Odontophorus gujanensis snethlagei, no type mention, lower Amazon; ...

To me it looks like it ought to be found in the next-following Revista do Museu Paulista (from the one we've seen this far) ... or in a possibly missing (this far unseen) Appendix.

Anyone smarter?

Björn
--

Last edited:
Last edited:
See here (p.161):
Revista do Museu Paulista

[...]
Tomo XXII*** 1838 ... 566 p.
Tomo XXIII 1838 ... 750 p.

Translation of foot-note (helped by Google Translate):
This issue of the magazine was presented as Catálogo das Aves do Brasil; in the same year, the XXIII volume of the Revista do Museu Paulista was published.

Thereby, No 23 is the one we ought to find. Somewhere. As in this one, I guess (but with access, of course) ... ;)

/B

No. 23.
http://bionames.org/references/694de149040e0e27e9a0d90d93eb77c5 .
This is source for snethlagei,
Nova contribuiYao a ornithologia amazonica. Estudo critico de uma collecc?o de Aves do baixo Solimoes e do alto Rio Negro. Revista do Museu Paulista, 23 1938: pp. 493-604. [Zoological Record Volume 75] .
From 1938 Auk v. 4.
PiNTO, OLiVaRIO. Nova contribuiqo t ornithologia Amazonica. Estudo critico
de urea coilecono de aves do baixo Solim6es e do alto Rio Negro. Revista do Museu
Paulista, 23: 493-604, Jan. 14, 1938.--An account of collections recently made on
the lower Amazon and the upper Rio Negro, Brazil. Of the many species listed,
the following are described as new: Odontophorus gujanensis snethlagei, no type
mentioned, lower Amazon; Cranioleuca'solimonensis, from Manacapuru; and
Thryothorus leucotis affinis from Manacapuru

Last edited:
Thereby, No 23 is the one we ought to find. Somewhere. As in this one, I guess (but with access, of course) ... ;)
There is another copy on Google with snippet view access. There, I can see parts of p. 543 -- e.g. [this] or [this] -- which are indeed about a new race of Odontophorus gujanensis; but I fail to find a way to p. 542, where the name is supposed to be introduced.

There are also three copies on Hathi, that cannot be seen at all, but that can be searched. For example, [this] suggests that the words "Mme", "Snethlage" and "snethlagei" coexist on that particular page.

Odonthoporus gujanensis snethlagei

Revista do Museu Paulista XXIII, 1938 (see attached excerpts, from pp.542-543), i.e. Pinto's OD ... with a clear reference to Emilie Snethlage's Paper of 1908 (here, by "E. Snethlage"), and ditto's (here) Catalogo das Aves Amazonicas (by "Emilia" [sic] Snethlage"), from 1914.

... which I assume means that this bird truly was/is "hers".

Björn

PS. In 1908 her Nephew (Emil) Heinrich was only a kid (and still in Germany). ;)
--

Attachments

• Revista do Museu Paulista XXIII, p.542.jpeg
    Revista do Museu Paulista XXIII, p.542.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Revista do Museu Paulista XXIII, p.543.jpeg
    Revista do Museu Paulista XXIII, p.543.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 7
Mr Camargo

... the birds were collected ...by someone named Camargo ...
Probably not him him as he seems to young in 1936. But might be a relative to Pintos wife Alice Alves de Camargo.
That guy, "someone named Camargo", wasn't Dr Hélio Ferraz de Almeida Camargo (not even as a young teenager), but Snr. [Mr] "Carlos A. de Camargo Andrade, naturalista-colleccionador do Museu Paulista ... "

See attached excerpt from the Intro of Pinto's piece in Revista do Museu Paulista XXIII.

If he (in some whatever-way) was a relative of Pinto's "wife Alice Alves de Camargo", is all unknown to me.

However; enjoy!

Björn
--

Attachments

• Intro.jpeg
    Intro.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 5
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back