• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x20 Ultravids, how do they compare? (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
Has anybody already had a chance to handle the new miniature Ultravids? How do they compare to their predecessors? Aside from being truely waterproof.

Robert

Swissboy said:
Has anybody already had a chance to handle the new miniature Ultravids? How do they compare to their predecessors? Aside from being truely waterproof.

Robert

Since I have not received any reply so far, can it be that the new super-compacts have not been out yet?

Robert

I ordered my 10x25 ultravids last week but they haven't arrived yet- and I haven't had a chance to look through any yet! No ultravids in the stores around here. Even if they did and I liked them I still would have bought them online to save alot of money. I bought them based on the quality of their older trinovids. I'll keep you informed- I'm hoping they'll be here tomorrow. Kevin.

Swissboy said:

I looked through the 8x20 Ultravid at a trade fair today. Now, I should perhaps start by saying that I personally don't like small exit pupils in binoculars, and 2.5mm is just too small for me. Even in bright daylight I prefer *large* exit pupils any time, and my limit for everyday use is ~4mm.

That said, from what I saw I think the new line if a definite improvement. Most importantly, the handling is a lot better IMO, in particular the focussing. The new focussing wheel is much better, particularly when you use gloves. The overall finish is very nice indeed. The optics - well, I couldn't really judge the optical performance all that well since I couldn't take them outside, but in comparison to the old Trinovids the Ultravids seemed to have better contrast and slightly better transmission. But once again, I think I'd need to use them in the field to come to a definite conclusion.

Hermann

My order is STILL back ordered! I'm hoping they will arrive quite awhile before Christmas. Can you imagine, "here's your slippers, dear. And look at the binoculars I got!!"

leicaeddy said:
Does anyone find the protruding focuswheel looks awkward? Can it survive hard bump?

Aside from questions about how much better than the older model these 8x20s are, I also wonder about the sturdiness of this construction. And how comfortable is it compared to the old version (which I find very good though some people seem to disagree)? I don't mind the looks at all, though.

Robert

I gave up on my order. They don't seem to be available yet. So now I'm awaiting a pair of Nikon LX 10x25 for $200 US less than the Leicas. A big saving, hopefully it won't be a big drop in optical performance. Judging by BF feedback, they should be just fine.

Well, having lost all the newer posts, I'll at least update my own situation. I had a chance, finally, to try the 10x25, not, however, the 8x20s. But those 10x25s (the black rubberized version) were something like love at first touch. They simply felt so right in my relatively small hands. And I think I can hold them steady enough thanks to this good grasp that I imagine the 8x can only lose in my case. So I bought a pair of those even before I had a chance for trying the 8x20s. But, then, I already own a pair of 8x20 of the older type. And aside from some more flare under side light conditions, they are still excellent.

The new focus wheel may have a somewhat exotic appearance, but it is great for fine adjustments. And I also like that dial for the diopter setting.

In comparison to the old 8X20 I find the Ultra 8X20 to be slightly brighter due to the fact that the old binos have a slightly yellow cast. I only noticed by switching quickly from one to the other. The new Ultravids look a lot 'cleaner'.

The larger focus wheel is easier to use although at the moment, on mine it is a bit stiff. It'll probably loosen up over time.

The eycups are slightly larger so they feel better on the eyes.

I am glad to have changed from the old 8X20's. They are an improvement and imo they could easily be used as a main pair of binos for a serious beginner.

Because the 8X20's were so good, I also updated my old 8X32's to Ultras. Again - much cleaner view and brighter.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back