• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Head flashlight recommendations (1 Viewer)

Led Lenser H7 has been used for several years without any problems. It is the replaceable cell variety as opposed to the rechargeable versions. There is a newer version out now (which looks as if it is much improved), but the old ones are still around. On checking they are the same price on Amazon so I would probably go for the newer one. It has a focussable beam (vital in difficult terrain), variable tilt (horizontal to various degrees of down)and a lever to dim it when not wanting to blind those with you. The focussing control may be a bit difficult if wearing thick gloves, but otherwise it just works. The headband is still elastic. It folds down to v small and came with its own storage bag with velcro closure and belt loop. Never tried any others as this works for me.

Last edited:
Thanks, White light, variable output and adjustable focus with long battery life are probably the priorities I would be looking for.
The led lenser looks like a good light. I have bought the P7 hand torch and I'm very impressed with it so I will look at the H7.2 further.

Regards Gerard.

Personally prefer the Petzl Range. I have used one (older model - can't remember the number/name) for hillwalking for ages and can't fault it. It didn't cost a fortune either. About £40 if I remember correctly.

Peltzl and Black Diamond pretty much rule the Alkaline world, try Zebra lights for a quality replaceable style. Pick your light based on Kelvin temp & cell configuration,,,I'm a 18650 type guy, will burn for 6-8 months before needing recharged.

I recently got a LED Lenser H14.2 and its great. It does get through batteries when used at its highest power, but then your throwing light out a couple of hundred metres, at lower settings its pretty economical. Its not particularly small though with a separate battery pack

I use a Cluson headlamp various models top one around £25 has varifocus different light levels and a rear red light as well. Good lamp I use it for surveying and all sorts.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back