• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seasons greetings (1 Viewer)

HH75

Ireland
Hi all,
I may not get a chance to go on line again for a while,so I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you all a happy Christmas and a bird-filled 2003.
Harry Hussey

Hi Harry

How is it in Ireland right now? My neighbours leave tonight to spend Christmas there.

Peter

Hi Peter,
Dry(at the moment),milder than of late,misty this morning.
Shouldn't be a white Christmas!(unless I get the white Snow Goose before hand)
Harry

Well here in North America it appears to be politically incorrect to be wishing people Merry Christmas... which to me is plain silly.
I am too darn old to change my ways on some issues so it is with that in mind that I wish you and those you love the Merriest of Christmases and the best of times to you and the folks you care most about.
Greetings From Canadao:)

Know what you mean Gaye, the world is going to hell in a hanbasket and we have to worry about this sort of PC silliness. There is no reason why people shouldn't enjoy the break even if they don't subscribe to the religeon.

Harry

Sorry not to have replied earlier - I had to go out. My freinds are going to a place near Drohega (is that the right spelling?) and they're extremely pleased - and surprised - to hear that it is dry!

Peter

Monkeyman

How are you and Ali? I am now in Devon, where it is damp, but around ten degrees warmer than London. That's what it feels like, anyway.

Dinner tonight followed by a party in the village. As I've done nothing in the way of Christmas do's this year, I'll be exhausted by the end of the evening!

Peter
Peter

Peter,
You must mean Drogheda(Co.Louth)?Remember going up that neck of the woods for Ireland's second Short-billed Dowitcher in March 2000!;-)
Just because I said that it was dry down here in Cork doesn't mean that it is the same in Drogheda......
Harry

You're right of course Harry. It's Droheda. Do you remember all the places you've been to like that!

Peter,
I have only ever been to Drogheda on that one occasion,so can only think of it in that context.The same can be said for many parts of the country,as I didn't travel around much(except for the occasional day out or holiday with my family)before I started twitching.
I have a map of Ireland in my room on which I mark an "X" on any location where I hadn't previously had a tick.As you may expect,many of these are in my home county of Cork,with quite a few in Wexford also,but there are crosses as far afield as Tory Island,Co.Donegal(Richard's Pipit Sep.01,small consolation for missing a Pechora Pipit),Tollymore Forest Park,Co.Down(feral Mandarin Jul.02),the Mullet Peninsula,Co.Mayo(Snowy Owl Nov.02),near Drogheda(that SB Dowitcher),Dublin(WWB Tern May 00 and Bonaparte's Gull Apr.00),Galway(Ross' Gull Jan.00 and another Feb.02)
I even think of England in terms of my 3 day trip to Surrey and Hampshire Jul.01!Got 3 lifers:Mandarin(since seen in NI),Red Kite(Chilterns)and Dartford Warbler(Beaulieu Rd.Station),also Nuthatch,Green Woodpeckers,Nightjars,Hobbies etc.,but STILL no Tawny Owls(we don't have them here)
Harry

That's a great list! I think you should consider publishing Harry Hussey's Birding Map of Ireland. What do you think? I reckon it would be a best seller!

Peter,
I'm still only a low lister,couldn't bring it out yet!;-)
Besides,a book on my experiences and on the Irish birding scene would be much better(if potentially libellous)!
Would have to change all the names to protect the innocent-and the guilty.
Harry

Last edited:
Harry,
The only PC that I know about is my 'puter. So I will wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and lots and lots of ticks in 2003.

Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back