• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke frontier ed V Zen Ray ed 2 8x43 (1 Viewer)

harold9649

How does the ZR ED 2 8X43 compare to the Hawke frontier ED 8X43.
It is easy to get the Hawke here in England but not seen the ZR here for sale
Harold

Actually, the differences are probably pretty minimal. The Zen focus is supposedly quicker, but in use it's still slow. I've used both focus versions (though not side by side) and as I recall, it probably won't make much difference either way. I tried the Atlas Intrepid, by the way, another clone version with the original, slower focus.

The Zen has dialectric prism coatings, but again as I recall you won't notice any difference unless maybe you have them side by side. Both will be bright, with a somewhat warm/yellow color.

Oil/water repellant coatings may be a little different, but probably nothing to worry about.

From what I can tell, all these open bridge Chinese ED's are basically the same--stunning views, good ergonomics, but with a really slow focus.

I'd say get the Hawke if that's easier. You will like like them.

Mark

Actually, the differences are probably pretty minimal. The Zen focus is supposedly quicker, but in use it's still slow. I've used both focus versions (though not side by side) and as I recall, it probably won't make much difference either way. I tried the Atlas Intrepid, by the way, another clone version with the original, slower focus.

The Zen has dialectric prism coatings, but again as I recall you won't notice any difference unless maybe you have them side by side. Both will be bright, with a somewhat warm/yellow color.

Oil/water repellant coatings may be a little different, but probably nothing to worry about.

From what I can tell, all these open bridge Chinese ED's are basically the same--stunning views, good ergonomics, but with a really slow focus.

Mark
What a sensible, practical and level-headed post. Nice one Mark.

I have never seen Hawke. As I recall from some reviews, the Hawke ED is essentially similar to the original ZEN ED, which I have an 8x43. It does have rather slow focus. From close focus to infinity, it takes about 2.5 turn. The 7x36 ED2 is much faste, takes 1.6-1.7 turn to do the same work. Both are very bright. Hard to make a direct comparison between 36 and 43 with different prism coatings. I would have gotten 8x43 ED2 if I knew it is coming out since the price is only $40 difference in the US. They are all good binoculars. You will be happy with either one.

Hi Friends!
I'm selling my Zen-Ray ED2 8x43 at the moment on the bay, but not through any disatisfaction (only because I need the money!). They are really phenomenal optically.
Zen-Ray hope to open a Euro distribution centre; of course the price is hiked by extra shipping & customs duty.
Best Wishes

I have tried the ZR and the ZR ED2 side by side; and the ED2 is faster as the reviewers say; each are bright and interesting the ED2 is lighter in weight; as it's easier to hold to your eye without bouncing the image; thus, clearer; that's why for general viewing without aid, I prefer the 7X and the ZR 7X while not powerful in magnification makes up in image's detail consequent the steady image. I've never used gyro stabilized bins but using the 7X ZR ED2 is bright and detailed because of the lesser magnification and lesser image movement.

Last edited:

Mark

I have both (and was out birding with the Frontier earlier this week) and Mark has it exactly on the money in his write up.

One extra little difference is the Hawke looses a little bit less ER on the eyecups (the lenses are a little closer perhaps 1mm or 2mm) to the top of the eyecups.

They're very similar with the ZR having the benefit of dielectric coating.

The focus rate is a personal choice: I think I happen to like the slower but less force Hawke but the ZR faster but slightly more force is also very usable. I've been using the Zeiss 10x42 with a much faster (perhaps a little too fast) focus this week.

I also like the ZR 7x36. It doesslightly better glare control than either of the two other bins.

Being out using these three bins this week after using various Zeiss bins (and Nikon SEs) for the past couple of months or so made me appreciate how close they are optically to the top bins. Not the same (stray light is a biggest difference). But they are remarkably good. I'd sort of forgotten how good they were: one does get used to one's bins and take them for granted.

Thanks everyone for your replies i forgot to reply earlier however i am still looking to upgrade i am visiting Canada soon and may be going into the USA and visiting Portland so i may get to Zen Ray to try out a pair of ED2s
Harold

Kevin Purcell's comments, I echo; yes, it's easy to expect to have "superman" eyes with every new bin, and to take for granted the last new piece of hardware that promises an increase in signal-to-noise ratios....I'm way guilty on that one.

my 7x36 ED2 is noticeably faster than the 8x43 ED1, which is almost identical to Hawke Frontier ED and several other clones. In far distanct, the speed is about awash. At close focus, the difference is significant.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back