• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Bin's out?? Meopta MeoPro. Anyone tried them? (1 Viewer)

optiman

Hi All. Just saw these new bins...(or are they?) from Meopta at: sherwoods-photo.com/. Any one here tried 'em as yet? Love to know. I'm actually surprised there's NO views/comments yet...(or maybe I'm wrong?). They look really beautiful ergonomically. Slick design, well 'armoured'..as would be expected from a trusted manufacturer. The price's surprised me the most for this particular model: £300 6.5 X 32 to £360 10X42 at this on-line shop. The prices seem very, very favourable. Anyone any comments...love to here. I'd LOVE to know what the 6.5 X 32's are like. Comments appreciated guys. :t:

Hi All. Just saw these new bins...(or are they?) from Meopta at: sherwoods-photo.com/. Any one here tried 'em as yet? Love to know. I'm actually surprised there's NO views/comments yet...(or maybe I'm wrong?). They look really beautiful ergonomically. Slick design, well 'armoured'..as would be expected from a trusted manufacturer. The price's surprised me the most for this particular model: £300 6.5 X 32 to £360 10X42 at this on-line shop. The prices seem very, very favourable. Anyone any comments...love to here. I'd LOVE to know what the 6.5 X 32's are like. Comments appreciated guys. :t:

Thanks for the info, looks interesting. More info at http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/EN/prodV.php?prod=1132&nav1=1&nav2=1

Oh dear, they're getting a bit mixed up with their FOVs.
In the overview it says 134m and in the specifications 440 ft, which would translate to 147 m @ 1000 m (less likely).
Looks like one of the marketing "experts" simply converted 134 m to feet.

John

The problem is someone probably did that ...

The conversion is not the straight linear conversion but needs to convert the angular measurement of "odd" feet per 1000 yards to meters per 1000 meters. It's that different distances (1000 yards rather than 1000 feet) that messes with the conversions. You need to multiply the linear measure by a factor of 1.0936 then convert it to meters (as 1000 meters = 1 093.6133 yards).

i.e. 440 * 1.0936 feet = 146.66 ~ 147 meters

Just understanding what one's doing might be the better requirement ;)

Kevin,

Why so complicated or were you just trying to confuse everyone? :) All they need to do is to be able to divide or multiply by 3, e.g. a FOV of 130 m @ 1000 m is the same angle as 390 ft (130 yds) @ 1000 yds.

I'm still not sure whether the 134 m (logically @ 1000 m) quoted in the overview, or the 440 ft (logically @ 1000 yds) quoted in the specifications is correct.
The former would give a FOV of 7,7° and AFOV of 50° (47° acc. to ISO) and the latter, a FOV of 8,4° and AFOV of 54,5° (51° acc. to ISO).

John

Last edited:
Kevin,

Why so complicated or were you just trying to confuse everyone? :) All they need to do is to be able to divide or multiply by 3, e.g. a FOV of 130 m @ 1000 m is the same angle as 390 ft (130 yds) @ 1000 yds.

I'm still not sure whether the 134 m (logically @ 1000 m) quoted in the overview, or the 440 ft (logically @ 1000 yds) quoted in the specifications is correct.
The former would give a FOV of 7,7° and AFOV of 50° (47° acc. to ISO) and the latter, a FOV of 8,4° and AFOV of 54,5° (51° acc. to ISO).

John

Thanks all for you usual WELL informed comments and analysis. I'm totally baffled by all the statistics of the FOV - i'm a bino amateur. One thing: they seemed..(Meopta) to have got the stats wrong on the FOV. I thought they were: 440ft at 1000yds?? (As said by Kevin above).I thought it too much, or, AMAZING. Would they have better/as good FOV as the Vortex Fury 6.5X32's? I want to HEAR who has actually tried 'em out on BF especially.

Last edited:
hI,

i've tried them all out. The 6.5x32 version is very bright with excellent transparency and resolution. I ended up getting the 8x42 version because i could not decide if the 6.5x mag was just a little low. I'd say that the 6.5x version had the best image though. Very neutral image, excellent build quality and really smooth and precise focus, good 3 stage twist up eyecups.

I am still really tempted to get the 6.5x as well!!, although i just don't need them.

Steve

hI,

i've tried them all out. The 6.5x32 version is very bright with excellent transparency and resolution. I ended up getting the 8x42 version because i could not decide if the 6.5x mag was just a little low. I'd say that the 6.5x version had the best image though. Very neutral image, excellent build quality and really smooth and precise focus, good 3 stage twist up eyecups.

I am still really tempted to get the 6.5x as well!!, although i just don't need them.

Steve

Hi Steve,

do you know how they compare with any of the Meostar bins?

Thnaks
Martin

hello Martin,

Yes i've done a direct comparison because i have the Meostar 8x42 as well as the Meopro 8x42.

The Meostar's are def better with better resolution, transparancy, colour contrast and much bigger field of view. Edge to edge is also better and just a flatter field of view. The coatings on the Meostar also look better even though they both have Meobright multicoatings. The Meostar also gives a brighter image. Having said all this i was knocked out by the 6.5x32 Meopro and would rate this as good as my Meostar 8x42. I'm really pleased with the Meostar 8x42 and i have the new Meopro as a kitchen window optic (spoilt i know) but like other binoholics i am still wanting the 6.5x32 meopros too!!

Steve

SPOTTED FLYCATCHER,

I haven't tried the Meopros but I have the Vortex Fury 6,5x32. I love this configuration and I am definitely sure you would use it a lot.

Now, I am looking for a waterproof, clockwise-focusing 10x with a great FOV and great ER to complement my Fury.
I like my Zeiss Classic but it shows a non-negligible glare, and not being phase-coated, it lacks much of the brilliance the Fury shows.

How would you rate the Meopro 10x42?

Right now, it seems like it's the only binocular that is even close to my requirements, but I know nothing about the sharpness and the glare-control.
If its view not very inspiring, I guess I will have to go down to a 10x32 or 10x36, like the Hawke Frontier ED - that no one here seems to have tried...

Hi looksharp65,

Yes i think you are right. In hindsight i think i would have got used to the lower mag of 6.5x and not really noticed it. Perhaps i should have just gone for the Meopro 6.5x32 instead of getting the Meopro 8x42 and then striving further to get the Meostar 8x42, as i really do think that the image of the Meopro 6.5x32 is as good as the Meostar 8x42, and I could have saved a fortune!

So far as the Meopro 10x42 is concerned, it is good although not quite as bright or as sharp as the 8x42 version and i just felt that there were others out there (some cheaper) that were as good. The Glare-control on the Meopros is very well corrected, and the images are relaxed, pretty abberation free, and just a hint of yellow past neutral . It has good build quality too. Have you had a look through the new Opticron Countryman BGA Oasis 10x42?, this binocular gives a really bright image, more neutral and slightly sharper than the Meopro 10x42 with better contrast although it shows more CA and abberations. I've yet to find a mid range 10x42 that i can be truely happy with.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

nice to find someone that has tried the bin in question. Glare control is much of an issue to me, relaxed and aberration free too. Pity they are not that sharp, because IMO a 10x has to be very, very sharp to compete with a good 8x due to stability issues.

I do feel (still) that the Meopro's are suspiciously similar to Vortex Fury.

Speaking of Opticron, I would have bought the Imagic BGA SE unseen, due to its great specifications, but I know that I need a clockwise focuser.

That means that I have to exclude all other Vortexes, Opticrons, Minoxes, Pentaxes, Swifts, ZRS and so on.

Meopta and the other European brands, Zen-Ray ED2/Hawke Frontier ED and the top Nikons are all that are left, as it seems.

Since the view of the Meopro doesn't sound that spectacular, I strongly consider trying the Hawke 10x36. The Fury will still see much of the use. And I can get myself a final night bin like 8,5x50 , 8x56 or something like that for the looooooong evenings in Sweden.

Kind regards

L

From what I have heard the Meopta Meopro 6.5x32 is US made with Czech glass and the Viper 6x32 is Japan made.
The Vortex Fury 6.5x32 is China made I think so there may not be any relation between Vortex and Meopta.

If I am wrong someone can correct.

From what I have heard the Meopta Meopro 6.5x32 is US made with Czech glass and the Viper 6x32 is Japan made.
The Vortex Fury 6.5x32 is China made I think so there may not be any relation between Vortex and Meopta.

If I am wrong someone can correct.

I know what is told about the origin of these bins, and who am I to say they are wrong. But have a look on the Fury beside the Meopro and say there is no similarity:
Vortex_Fury_6½x32.jpeg

mp_meopro_6-5x32.jpg

If that is true does it mean that the Meopta is three times more expensive for the same binos ???

OTOH, I consider the Fury's value at least three times the price ;).
It is nice to know that if I lose both my samples, the Meopro will be at least as good, even if I will have to pay some more...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back