• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski ATM 65 HD w/20-60x v Vortex Razor HD 20-60X85 angled (1 Viewer)

jdbb01

I haven't been able to find any direct comparisons between the Swarovski and the Vortex, but from the reviews I've seen it appears that the Swarovski may be a better scope.

The Swarovski is $450 dearer than the Vortex ($2650 - $2200) down here.

The scope will be a present for my wife. $2650 is really stretching the budget but I'd go that way if there was a marked difference between the scopes.

regards

John

I have looked at both of these but only at the 80 mm model. They are close but I have not compared side by side. To me it comes down to 'not quality' at this level of scope but ergonomics n feel, needs etc. I personally love the central helical focus of the Swaro and the design of the DCB swing up camera adapter for digiscoping. They both look outstanding though. So the choice is yours as quality is fine for both.... Do the intangible point of view for each scope and look at accessories available.... Jim

Thanks for the reply Jim.

Since posting this question I've done a lot more research and the Vortex gets some good reviews. The main difference appears to be size and weight but this is not a major concern for me.

It may be that digiscoping capabilities could influence the final decision.

I also have a Canon 40D and a number of good lenses including the 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L. Can you tell me how the quality of the photos taken through the scope compare with those from the 400L lens.

regards

John

For your wife?

Not to be disrespectful or anything, but if this is a gift for your wife, perhaps the size and weight would be of a concern to her. The Vortex weighs almost a pound more than the Swarovski, and as a small female there's no way I'd want to lug around something that heavy for any length of time!

That said, I can't help you with the digiscoping question. My hubby uses a Canon 50D with a 500mm lens, and I just use a little Panasonic point and shoot with my ATS65HD, so that would be an unfair comparison.

Thanks for the reply capemay.

I've thought about the size and weight of the Vortex and initially was a bit concerned but I think that image quality might be the deciding factor. I think if I could afford it I would get the Swarovski 80mm HD but it's just too expensive.

From what I've read the size of the objective lens is important at higher magnifications.

We travel with our caravan to remote areas of Australia and usually camp beside creeks, dams and waterholes. When there is water around these places are alive with birds, and at dawn and dusk the roos and other wildlife come in for a drink.

So in most cases we will be able to use the scope very close to where the van is. When we need to go further afield I guess I'll become the packhorse.

regards

John

features

Thanks for the reply Jim.

Since posting this question I've done a lot more research and the Vortex gets some good reviews. The main difference appears to be size and weight but this is not a major concern for me.

It may be that digiscoping capabilities could influence the final decision.

I also have a Canon 40D and a number of good lenses including the 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L. Can you tell me how the quality of the photos taken through the scope compare with those from the 400L lens.

regards

John

John....to reply to your last question....Your camera plus lens will take better photo quality images, if you are going to print large images from, sell your photos etc... Digiscoping, although you can come out with some nice shots...is usually more noisy and when cropped etc...they do not hold up to a true camera plus lens image. But, the huge advantage of digiscoping is that you can get fairly close to birds with the scope plus camera. Your question also compared the scope to a L series lens.... Not fair! now if you compared it to a lesser quality, I think you would be more in the ballpark. But, that being said...you can have excellent digiscoping photos for the web, your personal use not for sale etc... No one would really know the difference.

After all....how many people really make a ton of money selling bird photos since they are a dime a dozen...so don't go into this thinking you need National Geo quality.

I always say that the advantage I have as a digiscoper is that I feel it forces me to slow down and really 'bird' as opposed to just taking a ton of shots. For some reason ...I just get the feeling I am out there to shoot a ton of images and not really understand the birds as I do when digiscoping. But to each there own as others will not agree.

When digiscoping, you will be at a disadvantage in 'light' ....regardless of the scope size. Scope plus point and shoot camera = loss of light. Given that loss of light, a 65mm is not the best size to digiscope with. A 80mm or around that works best. Swaro's is 80, Kowa's is 88 I believe but they also have a 77. The Razor is a solid size. Just don't compare the Razor 85 to the Swaro 65...the size makes the light different. Although I bet the two are more equal than we think and the Swaro is better except in low light conditions. Just a guess.

Given you might not want to go the extra $'s to move up to the Swaro 80mm, the Razor 85 is a good bet. Yes, it is heavier and that is something to take into account depending on how you are going to use it. When hiking around, pounds add up big time....the lighter you start with, the better it is. If you are going to essentially use it to pull from the car or walk short distances, than the Razor is fine. I am not sure how long the Razor is, I remember it being a tad bit longer and for me, length is not a big deal in scopes.

I want to say again....the overall package is what matters...if you are going to digiscope, yes...Vortex has accessories to use to digiscope unlike other manufacturers. But so does Swaro and Swaro's accessories (DCB or UCA) are proven winners. I looked at the Vortex swing about camera adapter and was not that impressed....way too bulky.

The package also includes weight and length and what you are comfy with as well as how does the scope feel in your hands. Do you prefer dual focus or helical? Try both, see....

Digiscoping is not easy....to me, the least number of knobs you have to focus the better (Helical design of Swaro). Same with digiscoping camera adapter. You can get adapters that simply mount the camera to the scope eyepiece and not a swing away like the Swaro DCB. But think...where is the camera when you do not have it on the scope? On the ground? In your Pocket? either way, the latter is another step you have to do (Find camera and attach) while you have the bird in focus and hope it stays there....

jim

Many thanks to you all for your replies, and thanks to Jim for his detailed reply re digiscoping.

I have decided to buy the Vortex Razor. It appears to be a quality scope at a reasonable price.

For digiscoping I will buy a point and shoot camera that my wife can use with the scope, and I will stick with the 40D and 100-400 lens.

regards

John

I do own a ZEN ED 82..It could very well be the exact same scope as the Vortex,for what we have read in this forum...same body(exact),smae eyepieces(exact),,Vortex has actually in the market many models being made exactly as those other from the ZEN brand,so I assume that both the ZEN and Vortwx Raptor ARE indeed the same scoep..They both Use the Swarovski bayonet,and besides the 20-60X zoom(that is indeed a clon of the swaro zoom)I use a genuine Swarovski S W 30X eyepiece in my scope...Have not tested the combo side by side with a Swaro scope ,but the performance is well above average-medium ,into the high end ,great performance....So i think the Vortex is a good choice...BTW...my scope is for sale!:smoke:

Many thanks to you all for your replies, and thanks to Jim for his detailed reply re digiscoping.

I have decided to buy the Vortex Razor. It appears to be a quality scope at a reasonable price.

For digiscoping I will buy a point and shoot camera that my wife can use with the scope, and I will stick with the 40D and 100-400 lens.

regards

John

I thought the Vortex Razor HD spotting scope was made in Japan, and the Zen ED 2 spotting scope was made in China. They certainly do look similar though.

The Vortex Razor should produce good results for your intended purpose. I hear it's a great scope.

I would be surprised if it was made in Japan....too many similarities..including the exact design of the Zoom and 30X eyepieces.....

I thought the Vortex Razor HD spotting scope was made in Japan, and the Zen ED 2 spotting scope was made in China. They certainly do look similar though.

The Vortex Razor should produce good results for your intended purpose. I hear it's a great scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back