• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta amazing test results! German magazine (1 Viewer)

HD or not HD, if only Meopta could manage to provide natural colors, they would be considered to be essentially alpha.

You ought to do some research before you go spouting off about something you obviously know nothing about. The HD's do provide an extremely sharp, contrasty, and neutral image. The non HD's not so much. The HD's can compete with anything on the planet. I've done it side by side with the Swaro SLC HD 10x42 and the Meopta HD 10x42 and kept the Meopta. The 8x32 Cabelas euro HD is equally as impressive.

Good news

Meopta launching 8x42 HD at shot show!!!!
They also told me that a 7x42HD is still a possibility!!
Sorry swaro, zeiss, leica no way I would buy your products for double the cost

Last edited:
Good news

Oh snap! A whole new ball game at the $1000 price point now. Tough to justify more than twice the cost for potentially the same performance level (my opinion). I can't wait to get my hands on a pair of these!

How about a translated version for the English speaking guys AB?????? Thanks.

My German isn't good enough for this technical info, so I'll do exactly what somebody else recommended earlier... cut and paste from the PDF only those binos that interest me. I usually use both google and Bing because the dual translation usually gets it about 90% to 95% correct, and little bit of deduction will fill in the balance.

Good news

Meopta obviously updated their whole line recently to fall into alignment with their originally updated 10x42 HD when they introduced the Cabelas Euro 8x32 and 10x32 models. Up until now only the Cabelas brand of the aforementioned two has been available here in the US, but apparently the whole updated line has been available for purchase on their site for military customers for awhile. See the link below. So I'm not surprised that they're now making this same line available to everybody. Given the enormous success of their updated models sold through Cabelas it would have been foolish of them not to.

Bravo to Meopta for making these updated models available to US customers at such competitive prices :t:

http://www.meopta.com/en/bd-binoculars-1404042207.html

So this clears up the issue that quite a few people seemed confused about concerning this particular test. i.e. yes, as pointed out in the attached PDF file, this test is of the newer updated Meopta 8x42 HD, and not the earlier non-HD version with it's slightly yellow tint.

Oh snap! A whole new ball game at the $1000 price point now. Tough to justify more than twice the cost for potentially the same performance level (my opinion). I can't wait to get my hands on a pair of these!

Frank, I assume that Meopta updated the 7x42 model due to demand from their military customers and not from miniscule and sporadic demand from birdwatchers and other hobbyists. So be happy that they're making them available to us!

From my view, Meopta needs to upgrade their entire Meostar model line with dielectric mirror, lockable diopter, and HD objective. After that there will be no doubt that it is alpha. Then it will be pride for me, that factory located only 50 miles from my home, is conquering alpha bino market worldwide. Hope that they will do it soon, I am now dreaming about 10x56 HD with above mentioned upgrades, it will be very usable for twilight and sky watching - owling.

Somewhere I found that Meostar is using Quadruplet objective, so it is at its price and manufacture in Czech very good added technical value, instead of many manufacturers which is producing binos only to obtain high profit.

Another thing is that in Czech is its price higher than in USA and also in Germany,Slovakia...., so many possible customers is amgered by this price policy, and when they buy meopta it is through dealer in neighbouring states.

Best regards Kestrel

Last edited:
the guy i spoke with also said they have hyrdrophoic coatings, i said the website nor literature stated that. He said its called "MeoDrop", so i googled and sure enough its on their spotting scope, he mentioned it was also on their binoculars so that is good to know. He said they will update the website

You ought to do some research before you go spouting off about something you obviously know nothing about. The HD's do provide an extremely sharp, contrasty, and neutral image. The non HD's not so much. The HD's can compete with anything on the planet. I've done it side by side with the Swaro SLC HD 10x42 and the Meopta HD 10x42 and kept the Meopta. The 8x32 Cabelas euro HD is equally as impressive.

Well, Mr. Raider, your politeness seems to be as impressive as your mindfulness. :) What if someone don't want to use a 10x42? AFAIK only 10x42 HD is available in Europe but the test report was about 8x42 bins.

Steve

I gotta say, the whole Meopta situation is confusing. Am I right that their ''customer'' bin [the Euro] is HD but their house brand 'Meopta'' isn't?

That would be an odd way of marketing your product, IMO.

Well, Mr. Raider, your politeness seems to be as impressive as your mindfulness. :) What if someone don't want to use a 10x42? AFAIK only 10x42 HD is available in Europe but the test report was about 8x42 bins.

Steve

You're the clown that mentioned "HD or non HD" in the same breath, and they have a different view. I was just clearing that up for you since you've obviously never laid eyes on one, but felt the need to comment anyway.

I gotta say, the whole Meopta situation is confusing. Am I right that their ''customer'' bin [the Euro] is HD but their house brand 'Meopta'' isn't?

That would be an odd way of marketing your product, IMO.

Yes, it's a little confusing as to exactly which models are available, but as I pointed in an earlier post Meopta has already upgraded their entire bino range to HD which has been available to their military customers for awhile. 308CAL has now confirmed that these upgraded models will be available to the general public as well.

But there is NO confusion as to which 8x42 Meopta was tested as it's clearly pointed out in the German magazine that they tested the new 8x42 HD model.

Hopefully this straightens out the apparent confusion once and for all.

Meopta obviously updated their whole line recently to fall into alignment with their originally updated 10x42 HD when they introduced the Cabelas Euro 8x32 and 10x32 models. Up until now only the Cabelas brand of the aforementioned two has been available here in the US, but apparently the whole updated line has been available for purchase on their site for military customers for awhile. See the link below. So I'm not surprised that they're now making this same line available to everybody. Given the enormous success of their updated models sold through Cabelas it would have been foolish of them not to.

Bravo to Meopta for making these updated models available to US customers at such competitive prices :t:

+1 :t:
That's not a day too early. In fact, for me it's too late with a small margin since I bought the EDG 7x42.
I will buy the updated 8x32 though.

//L

+1 :t:
That's not a day too early. In fact, for me it's too late with a small margin since I bought the EDG 7x42.
I will buy the updated 8x32 though.

//L

Lars, I am really glad you are getting the Nikon 7x42 EDG, I hope you like it and it lives up to expectations. I know you have been wanting this binocular for quite some time.:t:

Thanks Steve!

Granted, I'm looking forward to it as well. Hadn't I already spent some time with it at a birdfair, I'd be more insecure about it. But although I realise I might find some or another minor flaw, they're surely insignificant to me.
Handling the Meostar 8x32 makes me like it better day by day. The Meostar 8x32 HD will be my everyday to-go/beater bin and may be the last binocular I'll buy.
(I hear those gasps of unbelief ...) I'm very tempted by the Kite 8x30 HD too, but won't be able to make use of more binoculars than I already own.

//L

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back