• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x20 Ultravids BCRs--opinions? (1 Viewer)

karmantra

Dear Forum: Tending towards purchase of Leica 8x20 Ultravids BCRs, but would like opinions, biases, comments, etc. from others regarding waterproof compacts from Nikon, Zeiss, and Swarovski. Binos will be used mainly for birding, hiking. Thanks, Karmantra :h?:

karmantra said:
Dear Forum: Tending towards purchase of Leica 8x20 Ultravids BCRs, but would like opinions, biases, comments, etc. from others regarding waterproof compacts from Nikon, Zeiss, and Swarovski. Binos will be used mainly for birding, hiking. Thanks, Karmantra :h?:

I have only had a chance to try the 10x25 model, and they felt extremely "right" in my hands. That protruding focus wheel is much easier for fine focussing than the other models. Compared to Swaro, the minimum focus is way better! The Zeiss irritated me because of the asymmetrical hinge. And Nikon has the focus wheel in the wrong place.

Dear Swissboy: your minuses on the other brands are also my concerns--I'm probably going with the Leicas, but I'll probably wait until I get some more info on how bad Leica's financial troubles are before buying. Thanks for the advice, karmantra

karmantra said:
Dear Swissboy: your minuses on the other brands are also my concerns--I'm probably going with the Leicas, but I'll probably wait until I get some more info on how bad Leica's financial troubles are before buying. Thanks for the advice, karmantra

Why would you want to wait? Hoping for cheap close-out sales? I would rather think Leica optics are too cheap for what they offer, so prices might rise just as well. And at this point you can be sure their service is OK. Also, I am sure there will always be a repair service either by Leica or someone else. I'd be more worried if I had a Leica camera system. That might well fold, as I can't imagine how it can make a profit. In that field, Leica has always lagged behind, ever since the belated introduction of a SLR system. But in the binocular/scope field Leica is up in the top three or four. So the only reason to wait would be for the other brands to come out with new models.

And since you live in the US you can take advantage of the present extremely low prices. Because of that, I recently bought a 10x25 from Eagle Optics via my son.

Last edited:
Swissboy said:
Why would you want to wait? Hoping for cheap close-out sales? I would rather think Leica optics are too cheap for what they offer, so prices might rise just as well. And at this point you can be sure their service is OK. Also, I am sure there will always be a repair service either by Leica or someone else. I'd be more worried if I had a Leica camera system. That might well fold, as I can't imagine how it can make a profit. In that field, Leica has always lagged behind, ever since the belated introduction of a SLR system. But in the binocular/scope field Leica is up in the top three or four. So the only reason to wait would be for the other brands to come out with new models.

And since you live in the US you can take advantage of the present extremely low prices. Because of that, I recently bought a 10x25 from Eagle Optics via my son.
Swissboy: Good point! I'll pick them up--interesting that you mentioned Eagle Optics--they certainly have the best price on the 8x20s--time to place my order! Thanks, karmantra

Hello,
I'm new in this forum.
Are the Leica 8x20 Ultravid better than a mid-range binoculars (as Bushnell or Nikon) ? Can it replace a "standard" binoculars ?
Thanks

liliput,

No - compact binoculars cannot, and are not meant to replace "standard" binoculars. They are GREAT for what they are - convenient, small, lightweight binoculars for hiking, travel, and other situations where full-size models are just not convenient or possible.

However, compact models have several drawbacks. Low-light performance is almost non-existant (with the exception of 10x25 models, where it is still very below average - bordering on mediocre). Detail resolution (especially over distance) of the latest Ultravid, Swarovski, Zeiss and Nikon models is quite good, but still nowhere near what you will experience with even a mid-size 8x32 or 10x32 model. Light weight and compact size also contribute to binocular "shakiness", reducing your ability to hold them steady (especially for long periods of time). Finally, compact models have a tendency to be forgotten, set down on the car, lunch table, desk, etc. then lost or stolen - they require more attention due to their almost "invisible" presence.

If you can live with all those drawbacks, they really are dream binoculars for what they provide. I own a pair of Zeiss 8x20 and Nikon HG 10x25, and they are some of my favorite binoculars - they get a lot of use and I would happily buy them again. The new Ultravids are also fantastic, I'm planning on eventually buying a pair in 10x25.

Best wishes,
Bawko

I would be fine using compacts for all my birding. A good pair will provide me all I need. That said, it is not for everyone, you have to match the right pair with the right person, and there may not be the right pair for everyone. Low light performance is underestimated. Between 20mm and 42mm you add about 5 minutes of daylight, or a foot or so into dark shadow. What you actually lose is some color perception (it takes more light to activate the color receptors in your eyes than the black/white ones).

The top two on my list are the Leica Ultravid 8x20 (for the nice focus knob and super compactness) or the Nikon Premier 8x20 (for the wider field at a better price).

karmantra said:

My unabashed recommendation is to select the 10x25 waterproof model from any of the top companies. I'd probably go for the one with the best short focus. Rather than giving my personal reasons, simply make a comparison with the 8x20 models and decide for yourself. The point to note is that all the companies do make 10x25s, and there must be a good reason for it.

Whatever you do enjoy the view.
Elkcub
PS. On travel I've used 10x25s from dawn to dusk, and plan to on my upcoming trip to Hawaii again.

Liliput said:
So, compact binoculars are usefull even at sunset ?
8x40 will only give 5 minutes of daylight more ?!!

Small objective limit three things but in reality only one affects birding. You get a dimmer image, but still bright enough to use. You get duller colors, but unless you are trying to separate brown greens from gray greens in dim light, for example, you will not be wanting. The limiting factor seems to be resolving power over a distance. Little birds far away are not as sharp.

It is not a matter of how much light total, but how much light from each point in the view reaches and intercepts the objectives. YOu get enough light for the eye to function no doubt, but less from the tiny object you are looking at compared to a larger bin.

Greetings!

elkcub said:
My unabashed recommendation is to select the 10x25 waterproof model from any of the top companies. I'd probably go for the one with the best short focus. Rather than giving my personal reasons, simply make a comparison with the 8x20 models and decide for yourself. The point to note is that all the companies do make 10x25s, and there must be a good reason for it.

I would absolutely, without hesitation or reservation, second this opinion. As anyone who has read these forums for very long can attest, I am an outspoken fan of low-power optics - preferring 7x42 and 8x32 for my main birding binoculars. HOWEVER... when it comes to compact binoculars, 10x25 configuration absolutely blows the 8x20's away in terms of sharpness-over-distance, low light performance, and brightness. For low-light use, 10x25 is the ONLY compact configuration that I think is even an option - although it is still inferior compared to full size models.

I own top-of-the-line binoculars in both 8x20 and 10x25 configurations, and given a choice I will grab the 10x25 almost EVERY TIME... unless weight and size are REALLY important to me at that particular moment... in which case there just isn't all THAT much difference between the two anyway. I've considered selling my 8x20 Zeiss Victory's in order to afford a pair of Leica Ultravid 10x25, I'm that impressed with the 10x models. However... the 8x20's offer a larger field of view and deeper depth of field, which is the main reason I haven't sold my 8x20's yet... I'm still debating.

Whatever the case, please do yourself a favor and at least compare the image quality of 8x20 vs. 10x25 before you buy, you really might be surprised.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back