• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (2 Viewers)

19. Grey Heron - presume the cold snap has caused its nearby habitat to freeze over, so was on the neighbours roof eying up his fish pond!

Maybe that Heron think she/he is Stork. :eek!:
Your neighbour gets a big bunch of branches on his roof at any day now...

Maybe that Heron think she/he is Stork. :eek!:
Your neighbour gets a big bunch of branches on his roof at any day now...

A loud noise on our roof last night, it wasn't a stork or heron, but big lumps of ice and snow sliding off in the warmer températures, 13° today which is ridiculous for January at this altitude.
I'm struggling to get up to last January's 36 species, so desperate times call for desperate measures and all that, I've set up the 'scope in the garden, trained on the mountain to try and see Alpine Chough or Golden Eagle. No luck so far, but at least it meant I was outside and able to hear, then see:

33 Siskin

Another mild day, which has encouraged two of my 'mid-winter absentees' to reappear:

34 Woodpigeon
35 Green Woodpecker

Woodpigeon is absent up here (or becomes invisible to me ;)) from late Sept/early October, the Green Woody is very consistent, the last three winters it has vanished, (well, my last sightings anyway) on 18th,11th and 20th November.
The Woodpigeon was calling and doing a short display flight and I also heard Mistle Thrush song for the first time up here this year, groups of Brambling starting to appear after a winter with a maximum of only three regulars visiting the garden.
Afternoon update: I counted 48 Brambling feeding below the feeders later on, unfortunately something spooked them later and one crashed into the window and died (see photo, aren't they a smart bird!). Scanning the mountain at dusk got the expected result:
36 Alpine Chough
a group of around 30 wheeling about.

Attachments

• IMG_8623.JPG
    IMG_8623.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Had six very mild sunny bright days here , perhaps changing today a bit.
Great to have lunch out in garden in janauary ,its not usually possible this time of year .

22. Peregrine . Very pleased to see this bird clearly today ,it stayed in the tree more than ten minutes.

I have cancelled the hooded crow on my list as not at all sure !

Another mild day, which has encouraged two of my 'mid-winter absentees' to reappear:

34 Woodpigeon
35 Green Woodpecker

Woodpigeon is absent up here (or becomes invisible to me ;)) from late Sept/early October, the Green Woody is very consistent, the last three winters it has vanished, (well, my last sightings anyway) on 18th,11th and 20th November.
The Woodpigeon was calling and doing a short display flight and I also heard Mistle Thrush song for the first time up here this year, groups of Brambling starting to appear after a winter with a maximum of only three regulars visiting the garden.

We are lucky where we are in Lancashire; wood pigeons are a regular visitor and we actually have a Mistle Thrush that nests on a security light on the house.

Unfortunately the Sparrow Hawks got to either the adult or the fledgling not long after.

We are lucky where we are in Lancashire; wood pigeons are a regular visitor and we actually have a Mistle Thrush that nests on a security light on the house.

Unfortunately the Sparrow Hawks got to either the adult or the fledgling not long after.

Welcome to the thread Crawfordian, do you keep a list for the House/Garden each year? It's always interesting to hear of others' observations, eg your Mistle Thrush on the security light, perhaps they'll have more success this year.

Welcome to the thread Crawfordian, do you keep a list for the House/Garden each year? It's always interesting to hear of others' observations, eg your Mistle Thrush on the security light, perhaps they'll have more success this year.

Hi I am really new to birding as a hobby so not yet, previously my interest has been seeing the birds in the garden and learning about those. It is definitely something I am now considering having read all of the posts in the thread as it will add another dimension to my interest.

Hi I am really new to birding as a hobby so not yet, previously my interest has been seeing the birds in the garden and learning about those. It is definitely something I am now considering having read all of the posts in the thread as it will add another dimension to my interest.

Welcome to the thread Crawfordian.

Bar oodles of woodpeckers, lacklustre days at the feeders just now, but a Willow Tit with the Marsh Tits was welcome, first since December.

16. Magpie
17. Willow Tit

New to this thread so catching up a bit. Fascinating seeing the world of different gardens!
I'm in South West Quebec (just North of Ottawa). House is in the woods, lake just about viewable through the trees in Winter at least, so potential for watery flyovers in Summer (it's frozen now). Here's what I've got this year so far.....it'll be very slow going until the thaw in April, although I've got two newbies compared to last year already, so you never know!

1. Pileated Woodpecker (Heard. Woke us up on New Year's morning, since seen).
2. Hairy Woodpecker (first bird seen last year too).
3. Downy Woodpecker
4. Black-capped Chickadee
5. Red-breasted Nuthatch
6. White-breasted Nuthatch
7. American Goldfinch
8. Blue Jay
9. Raven (flyover most days).
10. Barred Owl (very regular last year, stalking feeders).
11. Purple Finch
12. Northern Shrike New garden bird, although seen locally once last year. Fab!
13. Pine Siskin Another new garden bird. Hasn't returned - yet!

Last year my garden total was 55 - lots of warblers in the summer. I'll be happy if I hit 20 by the end of March!

Welcome Jasperpatch & Crawfordian.

I've been at work all day again - just got back through a blizzard - 0c here & thunder & lightning!

Just sat through my Big Garden Birdwatch and with having a brand new list I have lots to add:

3. Blue tit
4. Coal tit
5. House Sparrow
6. Blackbird
7. Tree Sparrow
8. Wood Pigeon
9. Feral Pigeon
10. Chaffinch
11. Dunnock (a highlight)
12. Magpie
13. Carrion Crow

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back