• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I remove the old nest? (2 Viewers)

mfaerber

Hello everyone, first time caller here...

I live in North Eastern North Carolina and earlier this year a Carolina Wren made a nest and raised its chicks within a candel box on my front porch. Today I saw either the same wren, or another, check out the box again and possibly go inside. I never removed the old nest.

My question, obviously, is should I remove the old nest, or will it reuse the nest?

Thank you very much.

Hellomfaerber I see this is your first post so may I welcome you on behalf of all the staff and moderators at Bird Forum.

I'm sorry I can't really help with your question but I'm sure someone will be along before too long who can.

D

Hi,welcome to Birdforum.Enjoy yourself here. I am sorry I cannot advise you either,but maybe someone from your area will be along shortly.

I would suggest you remove the old nest as they normally contain mites, which if the Wren breeds again could harm the chicks. At least that is what I've always been told to do with my Tit boxes.

John Eaton said:
I would suggest you remove the old nest as they normally contain mites, which if the Wren breeds again could harm the chicks. At least that is what I've always been told to do with my Tit boxes.

I had heard the opposite, as some birds reuse the nests year after year - see the link below:

http://www.ofnc.ca/fletcher/nests/index.php

The Fletcher Wildlife Garden is a project of the Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club to restore habitat within the city. There is some very good info on their website.

Cheers,
Gillian

John Eaton said:

Would agree with John. Always clean mine out well before the new breeding season and never had any problems with birds re-using them. Think this is generally good advice for hole-nesting species. Birds that build nests in branches etc may well re-use an old nest after a bit of updating.

Last edited:
Remove the old nest (in March)

mfaerber said:
Hello everyone, first time caller here...

I live in North Eastern North Carolina and earlier this year a Carolina Wren made a nest and raised its chicks within a candel box on my front porch. Today I saw either the same wren, or another, check out the box again and possibly go inside. I never removed the old nest.

My question, obviously, is should I remove the old nest, or will it reuse the nest?

Thank you very much.

If they are in the box now...leave it..they are going in for warmth in the winter time.
remove the old stuff the first part of March...the next bird will put it's preferred nesting material in. It is nice to give them a head start by providing bits of string,cat or dog hair...or your own! cotton fibers etc. I keep mine in a little basket and they can take their pick. I live in the USA...TN
They will get serious in looking for a place to nest around March.
Your friend in nature,
Patty Peeples

If like Cheshirebirder you manage your own boxes you will notice many different bugs and mites in the old nest material at the end of the year. The boxes (in the UK at least) should be cleaned out and repaired where necessary in the New Year. Certainly Tits start looking for sites for the coming breeding season as soon as the weather starts to warm up. If the site is then disturbed they go elsewhere.
Cleanliness is next to...................

I was surprised it took almost 40 minutes to rise to the bait.

Rather talk about birds and other interesting things than work, now I've recently semi retired.

As already stated removing the old nest is advisable due to mites/ear wigs etc. I have many nest in my yard each year and always remove them from the nest sites including bird houses. The birds always return and start over again as part of the normal breeding cycle.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back