• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED-50 + 27X + Coolpix P4... A good option to start with digiscoping? (1 Viewer)

Glimmer

There's a special offer of my dealer:

COOLPIX P4
FIELDSCOPE ED 50
ANGULAR 27x DS
ADAPT. FSB-4

999 EUR

Is this a good package to start with digiscoping?

Where can I see any samples of photos taken with this combination?

I have a Canon 350D, any recommendatios to use it with a scope that beats the result od the ED + compact camera?

Thanks!

even better:

Fieldscope 82D
30x DS eyepiece
Coolpix P5100
FSB-6 adapter

and a quality fluid head on a sturdy but lightweight tripod

Roland

even better:

Fieldscope 82D
30x DS eyepiece
Coolpix P5100
FSB-6 adapter

It may be a better set up but it will probably cost twice as much!

The ED50 is am excellent scope and in good light can produce good results when digiscoping. Due to the small objective it does struggle a bit when the light fades, but in good light you should be fine. The P4 is a good little camera and it works well with the ED50. The FSB-4 is a very good adapter that fits it all together very well (the only downside to the Nikon adapters is how specific they are, if you ever upgrade your camera you'll need a new adapter too). Personally I prefer the 20x to the 27x eyepeice, but both are good.

Check out all the comments about the P4 on here before committing to buying one, there are some serious reservations. In particular see Kevin Du Rose's comparison tests:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=90715

I used one for a year coping with the soft results before switching to a Canon A640. The difference was immediate and to my eye dramatic. There are far better cameras for what you are after.

Personally I prefer the 20x to the 27x eyepeice, but both are good.

I agree that the 20x is the better eyepiece for the ED50. It is brighter, which is useful with the 50mm for faster shutter speeds, and should be free of vignetting. In reasonable light the ED50 can produce pretty good digiscoping results.

Ron

Many thanks guys!!!

It seems that P4 is not a good camera for digiscoping...

Then, what about:

COOLPIX P5000
FIELDSCOPE ED 50
ANGULAR 27x or 20x DS
ADAPT. FSB-6

Better results?

Any other camera with a light and easy-to-use adaptor as Nikon FSB series?

Thanks in advance

Many thanks guys!!!

Then, what about:

COOLPIX P5000
FIELDSCOPE ED 50
ANGULAR 27x or 20x DS
ADAPT. FSB-6

Better results?

Thanks in advance
That sounds a better combination to me. One small point – the lowest magnification DS lens is 16x rather than 20x as with the MC. I don't know how much difference the extra magnification makes (probably not a lot) but if you want to use the 20x MC lens I think it requires another two adapter pieces.

You should be able to get some good results with that combination and a bit of practice and if you really get bitten by the bug you can always swop the scope body for a bigger version and still use everything else.

If you look at my Users Gallery you can see some of my photos taken with the ED50 and a Fuji F30 camera so you can make up your mind whether they are up to the sort of standard you are looking for.

Ron

Many thanks guys!!!

Then, what about:

COOLPIX P5000
FIELDSCOPE ED 50
ANGULAR 27x or 20x DS
ADAPT. FSB-6

Better results?

Thanks in advance

I have the ED50 with 13-40 Zoom (which someone told me is the best lens to have with ED50 for digiscoping!) with Nikon Coolpix P5000 with FSA1 & 2 and FSB6, it works brilliantly in good light. I keep the lens at 13x. Only got this set up a couple of weeks ago, but am very happy.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

I have the ED50 with 13-40 Zoom (which someone told me is the best lens to have with ED50 for digiscoping!) with Nikon Coolpix P5000 with FSA1 & 2 and FSB6, it works brilliantly in good light. I keep the lens at 13x. Only got this set up a couple of weeks ago, but am very happy.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Why do you need FSA1 & 2?

Can you post some samples photos taken with the set?

Here it seems that P5000 is out of catalog, P5100 do as better as P5000?

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back