Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Tree planting, CO2 warning

Old Tuesday 7th April 2020, 19:14   #1
andyadcock

Tree planting, CO2 warning

Apparently 'badly planned' trees may cause an increase in CO2 emmisions, especially if tree are planted in peat bogs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52200045
Old Wednesday 8th April 2020, 12:24   #2
kb57

Indeed, in fact anything which results in peat drying out is likely to produce increased CO2 emissions - drainage, burning, climate change itself if you get longer dry spells...

The key message should be we need to look after the carbon stores we've got as well as creating new ones. Tree planting is fine as an offset mechanism, it's just it shouldn't take place on marginal land which might be cheaper, but also be of higher value for nature conservation.
Old Wednesday 8th April 2020, 13:38   #3
davercox
Dave Cox
BF Supporter 2020

Mindless tree planting is surely useless, and may be harmful.

I remember the Great Gale in the south of England, Oct 1987 (you know, Michael Fish's 'there is no hurricane ?).
After it, a lot of tree planting went on; and, about 20 years later, areas that had NOT been planted had much more healthy woods then those that had.

And I also remember Oliver Rackham's scathing remarks about people 'planting trees in woods'. Much better to allow woods to regenerate naturally, surely ?

And of course, planting trees in peat bogs is ridiculous.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 17th April 2020, 07:54   #4
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by davercox View Post
Mindless tree planting is surely useless, and may be harmful.

I remember the Great Gale in the south of England, Oct 1987 (you know, Michael Fish's 'there is no hurricane ?).
After it, a lot of tree planting went on; and, about 20 years later, areas that had NOT been planted had much more healthy woods then those that had.

And I also remember Oliver Rackham's scathing remarks about people 'planting trees in woods'. Much better to allow woods to regenerate naturally, surely ?

And of course, planting trees in peat bogs is ridiculous.
It is of course, especially as it's now such a scarce habitat but what I wondered was, wouldn't a peat bog be too acidic for most of our native trees?
Old Friday 17th April 2020, 11:03   #5
davercox
Dave Cox
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
It is of course, especially as it's now such a scarce habitat but what I wondered was, wouldn't a peat bog be too acidic for most of our native trees?
I'd guess so, yes Andy.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 17th April 2020, 12:45   #6
Farnboro John

There was a lot of plantation pine/fir planting in peat in the flow country - actual Government grants for it - in the Seventies/Eighties (sorry, bit vague on the period). Various rich celebs were cited unfavourably by conservationists as having invested in the process, Terry Wogan was one name I remember.

So it may not have been native trees and at one time it was all the rage. Not now I hope, but you never know with capitalist robber barons.

John
Old Tuesday 21st April 2020, 17:19   #7
kb57

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Downy birch will colonise bogs, but otherwise yes. Its a different story with trees such as Sitka spruce, which naturally occur on coastal peat bogs in Pacific NW and will readily invade bogs in UK adjoining conifer plantations, as well as being capable of growing commercially on peat.
I also seem to recall the plantations in the Flow Country in the 1980s were basically a tax dodge, the success of the plantation as a timber crop was secondary.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: