• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Most Beautiful Sounding Birdsong in the World :) (1 Viewer)

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
I'd like to see what our global citizens reckon is the most beautiful sounding birdsong in the world ......

Post video clips, links, or sound bytes of your candidate; and play nice - strict NDA* policy applies! o:)

Please put the name of your bird in the title - one per post. Of course you're not limited to just one entry! :)

Feel free to also quote and comment upon someone's entry - yay it, nay it, or make some other comment (but be nice! :)

Maybe we can even come up with a definitive answer ?! :)

It can be anything, but must be beautiful.
Beautiful to your ears, and it would help if others agree too ......
after all - 'A leader with no followers is just a person going for a walk by themselves!' :)

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Phylloscopus sibilatrix

I'd go for Wood Warbler Phylloscopus sibilatrix.

But why the discriminatory policy against duck heads?? Suspicions of Anatidaephobia here. I think I'll breach it, deliberately, on principle o:D

Attachments

• IMG_0372a.jpg
    IMG_0372a.jpg
    837.3 KB · Views: 34
Hirundo rustica

Whilst I admit that Nutcrackers choice of Wood warbler is a strong contender (especially as it is getting harder to hear these days) my choice would be the Barn Swallow.

Not necessarily because it is the most melodious of songs, but simply for me it signals the start of summer and the promise of things to come. Many would argue of course that the Common Cuckoo is the traditional sign that spring has arrived, but there is just something evocative about hearing the first swallows of the year on the wing.

For the same reasons the Skylark (Alauda arvensis) gets an honourable mention but does not carry the quite same message as the swallow it is a resident species and can often be heard at other times of the year

Wow - so many beautiful birdsongs - the various thrushes that people are posting from the other side of the world almost sound like a cross between our reed warbler and a blackbird. Thanks for posting :t: I think I am going to enjoy all these new birds and lovely sounds :)

Grey Shrike Thrush

European Blackbird : fluted...measured...melancholy...and it lifts the soul.

Cheers
I'm sorry Ken, but I'm going to have to disagree for me personally.
Maybe I would have a different view of this bird if I grew up in one of it's native countries.

I'm probably biased against this bird since it was introduced to this country and is expansionary and displaces one of my favourite natives. For this reason, every time I hear a blackbird - it physically grates on me.

I internally snigger every time I think of the scientific name - turdus :)

Compare that to our lovely colluricincla Harmonica o:D
The Grey Shrike Thrush ..... I think they have perhaps the most 'pure' notes in the bird world. The Chris Isaak of bird song ! :-O

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gBQxs2TRLo8

The Grey Shrike Thrush ..... I think they have perhaps the most 'pure' notes in the bird world. The Chris Isaak of bird song ! :-O

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gBQxs2TRLo8

Nice song! I look forward to some point in the future buying an old caravan and roadtripping Australia on one grand birding, camping, herping, beaching, etc adventure... But I need to finish S America and then there's Africa and Asia in the way hehe.

The Grey Shrike Thrush made me think of the Schiffornis species, here's a good cut of Russet-winged Schiffornis from the Choco (E Panama, W Colombia and NW Ecuador):

https://www.xeno-canto.org/sounds/u...winged schiffornis edited_2017.04.09 1130.mp3

Whilst I admit that Nutcrackers choice of Wood warbler is a strong contender (especially as it is getting harder to hear these days) my choice would be the Barn Swallow.

Not necessarily because it is the most melodious of songs, but simply for me it signals the start of summer and the promise of things to come. Many would argue of course that the Common Cuckoo is the traditional sign that spring has arrived, but there is just something evocative about hearing the first swallows of the year on the wing.

For the same reasons the Skylark (Alauda arvensis) gets an honourable mention but does not carry the quite same message as the swallow it is a resident species and can often be heard at other times of the year
Paul, I know exactly what you mean! :)

I think one of the most beautiful 'sounds' is the delicate, very soft chattering between two Welcome Swallow lovers as they go about their mating, nest building, and breeding.

Ditto for the very soft lover's chatter of a pair of Red-rumped parrots. They really do love each other ! :)

It always fills me with such joy to hear the loved-up pairs of these two species softly chattering their sweet nothings to each other of a cool morning as Spring approaches :) o:)

If ever I find recordings or vision that does the beauty justice I will post them :t:

I don't have any sound clips, but hundreds of singing Calandra Larks in early June in the morning in south-central Turkey on a sunny windless day just stopped me in my tracks...
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back