• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another 'plug' for big scopes (1 Viewer)

Art Thorn

I've just received my second-hand Swaro ST-80 and find it a great scope and will be happy using it at the waterfront. That said, I have to admit that, optically, it is absolutely no match to the setup that I sold. I had a Celestron C5 spotting scope with Televue Nagler 13 and 17mm eyepieces. The resolution, incredibly wide field of view (that is the most striking thing when first looking through the setup), and brightness of that setup was leagues ahead of the Swaro, and for the same price. And, of course, colour shadows are totally absent with mirror optics - no colour separation because no light passage through air-glass surfaces. Sure there is a corrector lens up front, but it bends the light so little that various portions of the spectrum just stay together. Well, the weight is enormous by Swaro standards (the eyepieces alone are about 2 pounds each) and it is not waterproof, but if one doesn't need to cart the scope about the countryside, and wants fabulous views for the fewest dollars (second-hand is definitely the way to go, in my opinion) then this is an option to be tested!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back