• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beginer looking for help. (1 Viewer)

Hello there. I've done a little digiscoping with my Nikon 4500 and Tasco 15-60x60 but the quality of the scope is terrible, massive chromatic abberation and low contrast. I would like to upgrade and the Pentax PF ED 100 has my attention. My problem is that I can't find much info on the scope. Anyone know of any reviews on it or does anyone own one?

Hi. a big welcome to BirdForum.net from all the moderators and admin staff.

The big Pentax 100 does look interesting, I've seen a number of reviews on the 80 but next to nothing on the larger scope.
One thing is for certain..... it's very, very heavy. The Pentax 80 is a large and heavy scope compared to many of it's competitors, the 100 would be far heavier... that's why few birders will choose it.
Resolution should be exceptional with the 100mm objective..... and it may be the ultimate digiscoping scope.
Andy

Hi Freddy,

Tasco scopes have never been popular in UK birding circles, even though that's what all the box stores sell. I guess you've discovered why!

Why not check out Kowa scopes? - very good quality and better value for money than most of the others.

Michael

PS do I detect a Queen fan here? ;)

Thank you for the replies.
Yes Michael I'm a Queen fan.
I am also interested in astronomy. Mars will be making it's closest appoach in our lifetime this August, what do you think about planet viewing with the big Pentax.

Hi Freddy

I've just mentioned in a separate thread that I could see the polar ice cap on Mars with a 80mm Swarovski. With a 100mm scope you should get wonderful views. You do however need to have a fairly high magnification because the apparent size of Mars is small in spite of it being closer than normal.

Dave

I can't speak for the 100mm pentax, but the 80mm ed angled scope produces outstanding digiscoping pics, check my gallery. The 100mm will be slightly heavier, but you probably could stand a more strenous workout like most of us. I would love to look through the 100 as the 80 produces very bright images using the xl-28 eyepiece, the view through the 100 ed pentax most be awesome. let us know what you decide.

Last edited:
according to the blurb the ed 80 is housed in an etremely lightweight "magnesium alloy body" how lightweight compared to say a kowa"" must admit,if the quaility of this scope is as good as it sounds,might be interested in purchasing one for digiscoping specially as it sounds quite reasonably priced!!
anybody ever used one,are adaptors available""

Lewis said:
"Don't stop me now, I'm having such a good time, I'm having a ball..."

??????????? Not sure what lewis meant, but for whoever asked for weights here are some off the net.

swaro ats80hd 45.9oz, also saw it listed as 47.9oz.

pentax pf80ed-a 56.4oz. 1600g

kowa tsn 823m 52.2oz 1480g

and for the big boy Pentax pf100ed 91.7oz 2600g. thats a heavy mother.

The 100mm scope is heavier for obvious reasons, but i wouldn't mind throwing it over my shoulder if it increased the amount of keepers(good shots).

Hi,
I am one of those "Jack of all Glass" and use digiscope, DSLR and SLRs to somehow record anything that flies in my country. In the context of this posting, I did posess the same Tasco and used it for a year. I have many images from it, some of great attraction to me. My laptop has only one image (from the Tasco) stored and it is not the best that the Tasco can do. I thought that it may be a good idea to attach the image, which is a rarity for India~ a Brown Shrike of ssp. lucionensis.
This is a very windy day image (the tail is twisted by the force of the wind) with a light tripod. If needed I can post additional images. Anything to start a debate......

Attachments

• greybackedshrikenet.jpg
    greybackedshrikenet.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 519
I talked to the camera shop that I ordered the scope from and I should be getting it soon. I got the zoom and 28mm eye piece as well.
I'd like to show you all a picture of a heron taken with my Tasco at about 200 yards, but I don't know how to post pictures.
Any help?

A very interesting thread Freddy that I have enjoyed keeping up with. I can't help with the scope advice, but I can tell you how to attach a photo ;)

In stead of using the grey reply box a the bottom of the page, use the green 'post reply' button above and to the right of the grey box. That brings up another page with all of the extra site features as wel as all the thread info. Just type in your rely and then hit the 'browse' button beneath the box and select your photo from your hard drive. Then hit the 'submit' button. Don't use the preview button or you will need to do the attachment again.

There are other ways to add a photo, but this is by far the simplest.

Going back to weight of the various scopes.... the Pentax body isn't particularly heavy against the competition, but just check out the weight of that Pentax zoom eyepiece! Now that is heavy (and the size of a tin of baked beans)

Thanks Ian for the info.

This is what I've been use to for the last ten years. I hope the new scope can beat this quality.

Attachments

• heron2.jpg
    heron2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 494
That's actually one of my best pictures with the Tasco. The distance was close to two hundred yards and the scope set to 25x. It is the full image resized without any post camera adjustments. Check out that chromatic aberration!

New Hampshire? Isn't that where they had the reactor meltdown? From that Glow-in-the-Dark Heron, I'd say that they still have a little work to do in the cleaning up the radioactives department. ;)

(Sorry Freddie - just pulling your leg. I think you are going to love your new scope.)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back