• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What are all those turkey vultures in Almaden eating? (1 Viewer)

LucaPCP

Happy User
Today I was hiking in Almaden Park (San Jose), and there were very many turkey vultures circling around. I did not see a single one of them landing to eat.
It's my understanding that turkey vultures eat carrion, correct?
I was surprised by their number; I saw up to 10-12 in the air simultaneously ... what do they eat? How can there be enough dead animals for them to feed?

I also saw a red-tailed hawk hunting from his perch on a power line tower, and that was quite cool to witness.

Luca

It could be that there was a carcass visible only from those heights or maybe they were just riding some thermals? Sounds like a nice day though.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back