• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lufthansa and Alitalia - fees (1 Viewer)

Sittelle

I'm trying to find out the costs involved for changing flights with Lufthansa and Alitalia. If anyone has had to do this with either airlines, any info on the fees would be greatly appreciated (this is for a birding trip obviously so I hope it's okay that I ask this and that it's in the correct forum).

Many thanks

this is totally dependent on your type of ticket (flexible, economy,...), and your ticket provider (where you booked your ticket). The provider should be able to give you the correct information.

Thank you: the three economy options (promo, classic, and classic plus) with Alitalia state 'booking change at a fee', with economy flex offering free booking changes: Swiss Airlines state more or less the same, but I'll contact the providers like you said. Lufthansa I've just discovered charge 150 for all economy light, basic, and basic plus.
Thanks again

Isn't Alitalia bankrupt? It went bankrupt at least once, and used this excuse not to refund my delayed air ticket and lost luggage.

normally your booking fees will be lower if you paid for a classic ticket than, let's say, a promo.
I once paid 250 euro to book a flight one day earlier, and once 200 euro to book 2 days earlier than booked when I bought the ticket. Both times at the airport at the counter.

I also rebooked for free on some flights, either because I had a flexible ticket, or because the flight was cancelled (obvious reason to get a free change), or because I could cancel the ticket for next to nothing and book another one.

If you book with e.g Skyscanner, you may as well buy a new ticket by the time they levy their various fees.

Always best to book direct with the airline, it usually provides far more flexibility. Booking with a third party agent, often means that tickets are not changeable at all.

Another important issue: are you changing because they cancelled the flight or for other reasons? there are EU rules about airlines having to refund if they are the culprits.

Niels

Another important issue: are you changing because they cancelled the flight or for other reasons? there are EU rules about airlines having to refund if they are the culprits.

Niels

This may prove more complicated if not booked direct with the airline.

Really not sure in the case of using an agent, who your contract would be with, them or the airline?

I haven't changed (yet) - I booked a flight for January 2021 so I wanted to get an idea of the fees incase I would have to change if (when?) covid is still prevalent.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back