• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three for ID please (1 Viewer)

colincurry

England
I think this is a Scaeva hoverfly but unsure which

0708 Scaeva BF.jpg

No idea what this is. Very small inside honeysuckle

0718 BF.jpg

Wonder if this might be a Robber Fly

0719 BF.jpg

Thanks

Colin

the middle one looks like some sort of solitary bee to me. The hover is a lovely photo but I'm not too good on the Syrphidae.
Not certain that it's a robber fly. The one I saw recently had a massive dagger-like proboscis. See attached. (Don't know species though.) But perhaps it's tucked the proboscis in - I think they have a groove under the head where they can sheath it. I'll be interested to know what more knowledgeable people think.

Attachments

• robber fly ex IMG_2192 (800).JPG
    robber fly ex IMG_2192 (800).JPG
    139 KB · Views: 18
I think this is a Scaeva hoverfly but unsure which

View attachment 731283

No idea what this is. Very small inside honeysuckle

View attachment 731284

Wonder if this might be a Robber Fly

View attachment 731285

Thanks

Colin

#1 almost certainly S. pyrastri but need clear dorsal shot
#2 Lasioglossum
#3 it is a robberfly Dioctria baumhaueri

The one I saw recently had a massive dagger-like proboscis.

This is not a robberfly but an empid - Empis livida

No, it's just that a friend who is into insects thought that it couldn't be IDed to species.

Well the key feature cant bee seen in your photo, so if you are unfamiliar with it then you cant actually key it from this, but it is exceptionally common, and I see them all the time so I am quite confident. But do let me know if your friend has a some other possibility in mind!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back