• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Ultravd HD's (1 Viewer)

paulwfromtheden

I have been contacted by Leica to purchase a pair of the new 8x42 HD's at a reduced price.
I am very tempted, but before I take the plunge, can anyone tell me if the HD's are going to be a noticable improvement on my 'non-HD' 8x42 Ultravids?
Ta
Paul

Paul - check out the other threads in this section, you'll see the arguments, especially the "new Ultravids are coming" thread...

This question has been discussed a few times there best, and on the other threads...

The price they are offering you would have a good buy anyway.

POP

Yes, have gone for it. £750 is too good an offer to pass up!! I can always flog them on ebay and probably make a profit!!

I will have a pair of second-hand 'non-HD' 8x42 Ultravids for sale soon if anyone is interested!!

I have been contacted by Leica to purchase a pair of the new 8x42 HD's at a reduced price.
I am very tempted, but before I take the plunge, can anyone tell me if the HD's are going to be a noticable improvement on my 'non-HD' 8x42 Ultravids?
Ta
Paul

Hi Paul,

Hope you don't mind me asking (just being nosey!) - how come Leica offered you a discounted price?

Not 100% sure!!
I have bought a few accessories (lens caps - scope cover etc) from Leica recently, so must have found my name onto a mailing list!!
Paul

Paul.
I do hope that I am wrong, but are you sure that the offer is for the new HD's, it sounds like the NON HD version?

Good luck anyway.

mak

About a week ago I received a mailshot from Leica offering special deals on some of their binoculars. I've binned the letter now but from memory I think the deals applied to some ex-demo Trinovid and non-HD Ultravids. I didn't read the thing all that closely so I could be wrong but it might be worth checking the details of the offer.

Regards,

DS

About a week ago I received a mailshot from Leica offering special deals on some of their binoculars. I've binned the letter now but from memory I think the deals applied to some ex-demo Trinovid and non-HD Ultravids. I didn't read the thing all that closely so I could be wrong but it might be worth checking the details of the offer.

Regards,

DS

I received this as well. Non HD Ultravids, virtually new at a good discount but offer only open until 8 Feb. I have ordered the 8×32.

Regards,

DS

I have the letter in front of me and it is for ex-demo HD's. 100% optically perfect etc, etc, full passport, warranty, A1 new condition etc, etc.
Anyway, the helpful lady at Leica said in answer to my question that I am entitled to a full refund if not entirely etc, etc.
Paul

I have the letter in front of me and it is for ex-demo HD's. 100% optically perfect etc, etc, full passport, warranty, A1 new condition etc, etc.
Anyway, the helpful lady at Leica said in answer to my question that I am entitled to a full refund if not entirely etc, etc.
Paul

I'm a plank.
I've just reread the letter.....yes, it's the pre HD models that I already own....
Doh!!:eek!::eek!:

I'm a plank.
I've just reread the letter.....yes, it's the pre HD models that I already own....
Doh!!:eek!::eek!:

I was fairly sure that the offer applied to the non-HD bins but, as mentioned in my previous post, I didn't peruse the contents of the letter too closely so I wasn't 100% sure.

Still, it's just as well that it's all come to light before you parted with any dosh, although it sounds like Leica would have given you a refund anyway.

Somewhat bizarrely, I traded my Ultravids in for a pair of Trinovids - which I love. The only way I'll be giving those up is when they're prised from my cold, dead hands!;)

DS

YES THIS IS THE PRE HD i have just seen the letter one has been sent to a mate he asked if he should take up the offer for me as i m looking for binos prices as follows all ultravid the 8-32 £660.......10-32 £700.....8-42 £750.......10-42 £780........

YES THIS IS THE PRE HD i have just seen the letter one has been sent to a mate he asked if he should take up the offer for me as i m looking for binos prices as follows all ultravid the 8-32 £660.......10-32 £700.....8-42 £750.......10-42 £780........

How much are the Trinovids going for? Might be worth a look.

are they ???

I'm not an expert on Leica and their optics development but I think that the main differences are coatings, weight and ergonomics.

The trinovids are an older model than the Ultra's and so the Ultras bear these improvements and are considered 'better'. However each to their own. I tried both these models along side each other at Birdfair a couple of years back and could see little if any difference in the view (to my eye only, average light, bright but overcast day if I remember correctly). That's not to say that there aren't optical differences - many people do see differences between them - but I couldn't.

The main difference I found is the shape of the trinovids which are not to everyones liking and the weight. After several minutes handling I got quite comfortable with the trinovids and decided that if I was going to buy Leica I'd go for the Trinovids. I'm pretty sure that no-one would be disappointed with the Trinovids - especially if they are discounted as much as the ultravids seem to be.

That said there are many other attributes that make a binocular better - how the eye cups fit your face for example. As I am sure many have suggested, you must try them before you buy.

FWIW, I shortlisted the Nikon HG's, Swaro SLC's and Trinovids, I spent an hour or so comparing them (nothing scientific just swapping between them, looking at different subjects) and ended up buying Swaro's 10x42 SLC - they 'fitted' my hands and face much better!

Perry

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back