Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Dogs.Should they be allowed on nature reserves?

Old Monday 21st October 2019, 18:42   #26
pratincol

A local private holiday home site owner opened a nature reserve next to his property
Like most of these holiday establishments its very popular with dog owners.
He's erected a huge sign at the entrance banning dogs. So far so good every time I've been- no dogs seen.
The reserve has only been going two years and breeding birds include Lapwing and Little Grebe plus lots of birds taking up the 50 nest boxes on site.
It attracts huge numbers of Teal in winter plus, Wigeon, Gadwall, Grey Heron, Shoveller, Tufted Duck, Marsh Harrier, Barn and Tawny Owl and so on.
Old Tuesday 22nd October 2019, 10:07   #27
rollingthunder

It s important to bear in mind that these signs, like most ‘homemade’ signage in an increasingly cluttered UK, are merely polite requests and can be ignored if somebody so wishes as they carry no weight in a court of law.....

Even the much-vaunted ‘Trespassers will be Proscuted’
First of all you have to prove wilful trespass and then damage to a crop or a product and even then the person or people concerned has to show intent.

Two examples:
I was down at RAF Fairford during the Kosovo campaign to look at the B52’s and B1’s. A group of Peaceniks cut through the perimeter fence and ran over to the parked up Bombers to drape flowers n banners. The security quickly kicked in and they were bundled, along with their dogs n kids back through the wire and effed off. No arrests etc it simply was not worth the hassle. When i next went down there was razor wire around the whole 12 mile perimeter with smiling and very affable..........Ghurkas - ‘nuff said.

The 2nd is wilful damage of GM crops with little or no enforcement that i read.

This sort of signage relies on common sense and goodwill and no amount of ‘get orff moyy laaand’ is the stuff of dreams.

Re: shorebirds. I agree but there is little you can do. On the very rare visits i make to our coastline i never walk near the edge with my Dog but there again i am a birder. The more insidious threats to coastlines and shorebirds is development, pollution and rising sea levels which if predicted means no shoreline or inter-tidal zone for anything or anybody.

Once again the Dog threat is imo overstated.

Good birding -

Laurie
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: