• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in the Carmargue (1 Viewer)

CCK

Hello

I haven't really travelled outside the UK before but I'm planning a birdwatching holiday to the Carmargue at the end of April 2005 and I'm after some advise ! First of all does anyone know if airlines allow telescopes etc to be carried on board the aircraft as hand luggage - I'm a bit worried about my telescope etc being transported in the hold. Also does anyone know any good birdwatching sites in the Carmargue - I'm really kind to try and spot a wall creeper. Any advise would be appreciated.

Regards
Christine

Hi Christine! On behalf of the staff here at BirdForum.net, a warm welcome to you.

Where I have not traveled abroad with my scope, I have travelled domestically and carried on the scope in a small carry-on and had the rest of my gear/clothing put in the hold. I felt much better about doing it this way.

I hope you enjoy yourself here.

Dear Christine
Yes, of course you can take optical equipment as hand luggage on any flight. But if you have a quality suitcase (e.g. Samsonite Oyster) then the hold is a good option - just bubble wrap your binos or scope and stuff it inside your T-shirts, or whatevers....
And then...the Camargue.... what a pleasure... I've 'watched there on numerous occasions, and in different seasons. Where to stay depends on when you go and what you want to do. Fill in some details and I'll tell you more.
David

CCK said:
Hello

I haven't really travelled outside the UK before but I'm planning a birdwatching holiday to the Carmargue at the end of April 2005 and I'm after some advise ! First of all does anyone know if airlines allow telescopes etc to be carried on board the aircraft as hand luggage - I'm a bit worried about my telescope etc being transported in the hold. Also does anyone know any good birdwatching sites in the Carmargue - I'm really kind to try and spot a wall creeper. Any advise would be appreciated.

Regards
Christine

Hopefully April won't be too late for Wallcreeper here, as they are a wintering species. The best place is around the Roman ruins at Les Baux, just north of Arles. Look on the southern facing cliffs below the town especially. Takes a lot of patience but you can get stunning views. Alpine Accentor are also common around the car park there.
Best starting place to get your bearings is the visitor centre at La Capelliere on the east side of Etang de vaccares...loads of info there, maps etc. and just a short drive from Arles.

JP

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back