Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Garden/Yard List 2019

Old Thursday 10th October 2019, 14:04   #651
BrendaA
BrendaW

22 Female black cap seen on my apple tree yesterday , several years have had a male and female in garden
from october to march
Robin in garden again since last week will stay until near end of march .
Since wednesday 2 blue tits ,3 greenfinches and a chiff chaff have joined the resident 30+house sparrows, 3
blackbirds and two collared doves etc .
Old Friday 11th October 2019, 16:24   #652
birdmeister

Another day, another yard lifer! This is some October I'm having.

91. Wood Duck (f) (yard lifer)

This was a quick flyby that blasted past on a breezy morning, but I got on it just long enough to get proper shape and color.

Let's see what the rest of the month brings! Winter Wren was not on my radar. Rusty Blackbird, American Pipit, and YB Sapsucker should be possible (but a bit lucky) as flyovers. I'm still missing some huge ones, including Carolina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, and WB Nuthatch.

At this point, I'm a bit skeptical about hitting 100. It'll be close, though!
Old Friday 11th October 2019, 17:17   #653
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmeister View Post
Another day, another yard lifer! This is some October I'm having.

91. Wood Duck (f) (yard lifer)

This was a quick flyby that blasted past on a breezy morning, but I got on it just long enough to get proper shape and color.

Let's see what the rest of the month brings! Winter Wren was not on my radar. Rusty Blackbird, American Pipit, and YB Sapsucker should be possible (but a bit lucky) as flyovers. I'm still missing some huge ones, including Carolina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, and WB Nuthatch.

At this point, I'm a bit skeptical about hitting 100. It'll be close, though!
Not to say Wood Duck aren't good birdmeister...they are, but I preferred your last lifer!...Central Park a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Throated blue def. May '12 for web..jpg
Views:	13
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	707319  
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 06:50   #654
Warixenjalka

"Winter is coming"

#69. Waxwing - Couple of these fly over with Fieldfares and Carduelisis.
#70. Brambling - 3 yesterday evening and one just a few minutes ago.
Last lifer: Kingfisher #430, WP ticks: 321, Finnish ticks: 260 (Kingfisher), Eco ticks: 196 (Barred Warbler) , Yard tics (alltime): 107 (Rough-legged Buzzard), Photo ticks: 399 (Kingfisher)
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 09:35   #655
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warixenjalka View Post
"Winter is coming"

#69. Waxwing - Couple of these fly over with Fieldfares and Carduelisis.
#70. Brambling - 3 yesterday evening and one just a few minutes ago.
Snap Wari! Just had my first Brambling of the - let's stay with Autumn for now shall we?.
I decided to do an hour or so's vis-migging early this morning, encouraged by a couple of recent visits to the migration watch point on the Rhône an hour from here. It reminded me how our valley is really not on the migration route
In one hour I managed 6 Woodpigeon, 3 Chaffinch and 2 Goldfinch, plus the cerise sur le gateau, two

80 Meadow Pipit

I'm going to need some luck to match the 86 total of 2018...........
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 12:03   #656
Warixenjalka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
Snap Wari! Just had my first Brambling of the - let's stay with Autumn for now shall we?.
I decided to do an hour or so's vis-migging early this morning, encouraged by a couple of recent visits to the migration watch point on the Rhône an hour from here. It reminded me how our valley is really not on the migration route
In one hour I managed 6 Woodpigeon, 3 Chaffinch and 2 Goldfinch, plus the cerise sur le gateau, two

80 Meadow Pipit

I'm going to need some luck to match the 86 total of 2018...........
Hopefully Autumn will be as long and warm as possible. (But my friend from Ranua - Southern Lapland - put me short video yesterday and there was snowing, white blanket on the ground and all... )

I need only two and then I'm last year's result... but you never know. It may even be that I will not receive any new ticks this year...
Last lifer: Kingfisher #430, WP ticks: 321, Finnish ticks: 260 (Kingfisher), Eco ticks: 196 (Barred Warbler) , Yard tics (alltime): 107 (Rough-legged Buzzard), Photo ticks: 399 (Kingfisher)
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 12:18   #657
KenM

Just caught the back of it twice, as it finished hovering in front of the Holly before rapid exit into said, thought that it looked a tad bright and waited for it to re-emerge some 15 mins.later, just the one brief visit last year, will hope for a few more this year....no.84 Firecrest

Last edited by KenM : Saturday 12th October 2019 at 12:23.
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 17:31   #658
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Not to be discouraged I did another hour sky watching once the Ireland Rugby match had finished I was just begiining to consider counting Red Admirals as they seemed to be the only migration visible when,glory be, a migrating bird of prey!! Only my second ever

81 Marsh Harrier

here and the first autumn one, heading south very high.
Old Sunday 13th October 2019, 13:56   #659
Warixenjalka

Quote:
I need only two and then I'm last year's result... but you never know. It may even be that I will not receive any new ticks this year...
About an hour after I wrote the previous one, I happened to look out the kitchen window and...

#71. (Garden lifer by the way)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	abacIMG_2534.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	707431  
Old Monday 14th October 2019, 19:11   #660
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

October 14th.

72. Great Black-backed Gull

A lot of activity over the garden most mornings now but nothing else new. First Siskin of the autumn today though.

Steve
Old Friday 18th October 2019, 03:53   #661
hookem2010

#28 White-faced ibis
Flyover. I live in a pretty small town surrounded by ranch land at the moment, so I should have a good shot at getting some decent flyovers. Hoping for snow geese and/or sandhill cranes in the next month or two. I pretty much whiffed on Raptors during the fall, unfortunately
Old Sunday 20th October 2019, 09:12   #662
KenM

A flyover Hawfinch at 8.20 followed by a bunting sp? and then never annual....3 Mute Swans South East no.85.
Old Sunday 20th October 2019, 09:20   #663
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
A flyover Hawfinch at 8.20 followed by a bunting sp? and then never annual....3 Mute Swans South East no.85.
I hope you’re doing a dusk garden watch Ken, you never know what might be ´hawking’ around the vicinity !
Old Sunday 20th October 2019, 19:55   #664
hookem2010

#29- Eastern phoebe
Hopefully goldfinches start arriving here soon. I didn't move to this home until the summer so I have no winter birds.
Old Sunday 20th October 2019, 20:06   #665
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem2010 View Post
#29- Eastern phoebe
Hopefully goldfinches start arriving here soon. I didn't move to this home until the summer so I have no winter birds.
That’s going to be interesting Hookem, how many species do you hope to add before the end of the year?
Old Sunday 20th October 2019, 23:51   #666
hookem2010

Honestly have no clue. I've been birding for a few years, but this is the first time I've set out feeders so I don't really know what to expect. I spend a fair amount of time relaxing on the patio with the binoculars handy, so if I could hit 40 by the end of the year, that would be great. We will be in this house until December 2020, so I'm hoping to get to 50 before we move out.
Old Friday 25th October 2019, 19:32   #667
Warixenjalka

Hookem, I'm sure you get at least double of that - maybe even triple. (I have never been in Texas, but I think you have there much more birds than we have here.)

Speaking of the yard ticks, I'm in last year's record for:

#72. Brent Goose - I was collecting my morning post, when heard burbling gaggle from sky - which was totally dark, so I couldn't see nothing. I was pretty sure what they were and when I listening Brents from Xeno Canto I was sure.
Old Saturday 26th October 2019, 14:01   #668
Warixenjalka

New record has been born!

#73. Jay -
Old Saturday 26th October 2019, 14:11   #669
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Congratulations Wari!
Still very quiet here in terms of new ones for the year, still I managed 24 species in an early morning hour and a half today ( and two more since!) so there’s still plenty to see.
Old Saturday 26th October 2019, 16:23   #670
jasperpatch
Amy, Brit in Quebec.

Quote:
New record has been born!

#73. Jay -

Congratulations Wari! That didn't take long....now don't go getting too many more or you'll have an even higher total to beat next year!

Meanwhile....nothing new here in a month and a half. I'm still 9 off equalling my record - need to get a shift on! I've had some nice new ones on my green patch lately, so no complaints.
Old Sunday 27th October 2019, 14:18   #671
Warixenjalka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperpatch View Post
Congratulations Wari! That didn't take long....now don't go getting too many more or you'll have an even higher total to beat next year!
That's true... But what can you do when they just keep coming?

#74. Hawfinch - This was just a second time I saw this in my garden. (Last time I saw this was maybe 2015 or something like that.) Also it was a year tick for me.

PS. Today has been ambivalent day: In addition to the new garden tick, I manage to see Kingfisher in local wetland. My first in Finland. But then - I backed my car in the ditch and broke down the exhaust pipe...
PPS. Just noticed when looking out of window: the First snow
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ababP1260541.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	708593  

Last edited by Warixenjalka : Sunday 27th October 2019 at 14:21.
Old Sunday 27th October 2019, 16:48   #672
dantheman
Bah humbug

My partner moved to a new place just north of Falmouth at the end of the summer, and whilst I'm kinda there full time, haven't been keeping a proper list yet (was going to in the new year) - noted a few interesting things over such as Peregrine, Linnet, Grey Wag etc, nice but regular in the area. Today added a barrel-rolling Raven, and was just outside bringing the washing in, and lost in thought thinking about doing the garden list when a long-billed wader flew over, fast and direct. First thought was it would be a Curlew, but then quickly realised it was a godwit - Black-tailed!! Unexpected and not one I'd be that likely to get again, so thought I'd better get it in and on the all-time garden list!
Old Sunday 27th October 2019, 17:13   #673
KenM

Quote:
That's true... But what can you do when they just keep coming?

#74. Hawfinch - This was just a second time I saw this in my garden. (Last time I saw this was maybe 2015 or something like that.) Also it was a year tick for me.

PS. Today has been ambivalent day: In addition to the new garden tick, I manage to see Kingfisher in local wetland. My first in Finland. But then - I backed my car in the ditch and broke down the exhaust pipe...
PPS. Just noticed when looking out of window: the First snow
Well done on the Hawfinch and Jay Wari!...is the snow early this year?

Cheers
Old Sunday 27th October 2019, 17:41   #674
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
... haven't been keeping a proper list yet (was going to in the new year) - was just outside bringing the washing in, and lost in thought thinking about doing the garden list ...- Black-tailed!! Unexpected and not one I'd be that likely to get again, so thought I'd better get it in and on the all-time garden list!
Me too - taking in the washing and Grey Heron flew low over the garden - went back indoors thinking to add it to my garden list then realised my ‘garden list’ still comprises of yellow ‘Post Its’ stuck all over the fridge with various noteable species and dates waiting to be written into notebook form
http://www.osme.org
Old Sunday 27th October 2019, 20:36   #675
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Burhinus View Post
Me too - taking in the washing and Grey Heron flew low over the garden - went back indoors thinking to add it to my garden list then realised my ‘garden list’ still comprises of yellow ‘Post Its’ stuck all over the fridge with various noteable species and dates waiting to be written into notebook form
Ha. No time like the present I guess, so here goes, in no particular order ...

Mabe Burnthouse (nr Falmouth) Garden List 2019 -

Flyover -
Cormorant
Peregrine
Buzzard
Rook
Jackdaw
Raven
Linnet
Skylark
Goldfinch
Pied Wagtail
Grey Wagtail
*Black-tailed Godwit*
Collared Dove
Woodpigeon
Meadow Pipit
Swallow
House Martin

In garden or in adjoining hedge –

Magpie
Robin
Chiffchaff
Wren
Blackbird
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
House Sparrow
Chaffinch

Tawny Owl (heard only, quite frequently)

I make that 28. Might be a few common birds I don't recall (eg C Crow, Dunnock) but will wait and see.

An advantage of starting this late in the game is that I can still keep potentially adding new species, whereas all those on 75+ are severely limited as to new additions.

*Bwah ha ha* ... evil laugh
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: