• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding near BA international airport. (1 Viewer)

Wimpy

Hi there
I have found that I have about 5 hours between flight at Eze and wonder if there is anyplace at the airport or near at hand to do some birding. I notice on eBirds there are two hotspots, one at the airport and the other at Reserva Natural Laguna De Rocha. Are these easily accessible. Where around the airport do folks bird?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Roger

I must say Rocha looks splendid on satellite. You should go there, make a up-to-date report so that I can decide whether to go there next time in BA :) Otherwise sorry of being no help, I have never had a transfer in EZE (how did you even manage that?) always with international to EZE and then local in Aeropaque and vice versa - and that has a very obvious birding solution in Costanera Sur (but that's absurd in 5 hours from EZE if you want to come back).

With 5 hrs you could go somewhere close if you just grab a taxi/Uber there and are sure of getting back... Costanera Sur is too far and the risk of traffic too great. Maybe with 8 hrs it would be more reasonable to go there. I don’t know any of the sites out there as EZE is a long ways from where I live. Given the layout out there I don’t think it is realistic to walk anywhere from the airport.

If you cannot read the the Argentina forum and figure out what “BA airport” might be and/or either deduce or google EZE, I’m not sure I can help you ;) A snicker emoticon would be handy.

BA is Buenos Aires. EZE is the airport code for Ezeiza Intl Airport. The other airport in BA, more centrally located and basically only for only domestic flights, is Aeroparque Jorge Newberry, airport code AEP.

Within Argentina they are just called Ezeiza and Aeroparque.

C'mon don't be so harsh on Andy, he's a fine bloke! It's true that people read the forum by variety of means and can find themselves easily lost in a local lingo. I apologize for being a part of the problem - as someone who has been to both airports maybe twenty times, yhe lingo is deeply engrained in me :)

If you cannot read the the Argentina forum and figure out what “BA airport” might be and/or either deduce or google EZE, I’m not sure I can help you ;) A snicker emoticon would be handy.

BA is Buenos Aires. EZE is the airport code for Ezeiza Intl Airport. The other airport in BA, more centrally located and basically only for only domestic flights, is Aeroparque Jorge Newberry, airport code AEP.

Within Argentina they are just called Ezeiza and Aeroparque.

You may as well have just written it in Spanish, would have the same effect.

Most people realise when posting, that this is a World forum and that not everyone is aware of local abbreviations, I can think of a few emoticons that would be handy.

Hi there
I have found that I have about 5 hours between flight at Eze and wonder if there is anyplace at the airport or near at hand to do some birding. I notice on eBirds there are two hotspots, one at the airport and the other at Reserva Natural Laguna De Rocha. Are these easily accessible. Where around the airport do folks bird?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Roger

Not sure if you are aware of a bird app called GoBird, free on Android...it let's you browse birding hotspots around the world.

I have just checked it and there is one hotspot at Ezeiza airport itself, with 68 species recorded, last from 4 days ago. The second closes is Laguna de Rocha, with 102 species, last from 2 days ago.

However (and this is a big however...), make sure you do some research about safety in the area. The wrong areas in Buenos Aires (and Great Buenos Aires) can be seriously dangerous, and if you end up in one of those you will be lucky if you only get mugged.

I actually came to the forum to ask about safety (I will open a separate thread).

You may as well have just written it in Spanish, would have the same effect.

Most people realise when posting, that this is a World forum and that not everyone is aware of local abbreviations, I can think of a few emoticons that would be handy.

I meant no offense, sorry if any was taken :) Just being a bit snarky, not trying to be tuse.

Thanks for the help guys. With the check in time for our onward flight it might be not 5 hours, but thanks for the advice especially about the website.
If there was some confusion, sorry about that. I just assumed that anyone who might know suitable places would know the abbreviations.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back