• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Focus Points: Anyone know why... (1 Viewer)

Apodidae49

...when I have any focus point setting selected, Single Point, 9 Point, 39 Point that the only focus point I’m getting in the viewfinder is one fixed at the top right of the grid? This happens in Program Mode and Aperture Priority which are the two settings I use most. If I switch to Dumbo mode (Full Auto) then focus points start appearing all over the place. This single focus point is active as it goes red when focus is acquired.

I’ve enclosed a couple of pics in Viewfinder and Live modes to show what’s happening. Even before the one point started appearing in the top right I wasn’t getting any visible focus squares in the viewfinder on Single, 9 or 39 Point focus.

Is there something wrong with my nice new D5600?

Help please!

Attachments

• 436C76CC-FAB2-40C4-A1B3-4AD15230EB03.jpeg
    436C76CC-FAB2-40C4-A1B3-4AD15230EB03.jpeg
    404.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 1F2B1D17-D640-4CCB-BB71-350FB86515BD.jpeg
    1F2B1D17-D640-4CCB-BB71-350FB86515BD.jpeg
    718.6 KB · Views: 46
I hope you get an answer soon as I sometimes have the same problem with my one year old D7200

I love Vejer, used to go there when on holiday in Zahora. Found an amazing steak house and saw the dazzling display of raptors in the sky above.

PS, I hope I get an answer too!

Are you saying that the focus point is stuck permanently at the top right and cannot be moved using the multi selector dial on the back of the camera?

Are you saying that the focus point is stuck permanently at the top right and cannot be moved using the multi selector dial on the back of the camera?

Not sure as yet, I’m a bit of a beginner with the camera but it’s certainly fixed in place as shown on the photo in Program and Aperture Priority modes and only moves when full auto is selected.

Edit: but photos taken at wide apertures in low light are centrally in focus.

Last edited:
Yeah, been super busy dealing with lots of stuff.

You may just have inadvertently moved the focus point off its central position. I'm not sure if it always returns to the central position when using 3D tracking either. Just use the joystick (the disk around the OK button at the rear of the camera) to move the focus point back to centre.

Chosun :gh:

On the back of the camera there is a circular dial called the multi selector surrounding the OK button. Set the camera to Program or Aperture Priority and then press the left/bottom edge of the multi selector dial to move the focus point left/down. You should be able to move it to whatever position you want using the multi selector. I don't think you can lock it in position on the D5xxx series so it is easy to move it accidentally.

The behaviour you describe in Full Auto is normal as the camera is deciding what to focus on.

Yeah, been super busy dealing with lots of stuff.

You may just have inadvertently moved the focus point off its central position. I'm not sure if it always returns to the central position when using 3D tracking either. Just use the joystick (the disk around the OK button at the rear of the camera) to move the focus point back to centre.

Chosun :gh:

Thanks Chosun, I’ll take a look at the book and get onto that when I get home from this mini-break in Cumbria.

On the back of the camera there is a circular dial called the multi selector surrounding the OK button. Set the camera to Program or Aperture Priority and then press the left/bottom edge of the multi selector dial to move the focus point left/down. You should be able to move it to whatever position you want using the multi selector. I don't think you can lock it in position on the D5xxx series so it is easy to move it accidentally.

The behaviour you describe in Full Auto is normal as the camera is deciding what to focus on.

Thanks, I’ll get onto that in the very near future. Is it usual to not see any focus points in the viewfinder on modes such as 9 point? I just get the in-focus beep.

Not sure if you aware Gerald, but on the D7200 you can lock the focus point in any position. The multi selector has an additional switch around it with two positions, one marked L and one marked with just a dot. Move the focus point to wherever you want it and then move the switch to the L position and the focus point is then locked in position. Useful if you find you keep moving the focus point accidentally as I do. It will stay in the locked position until you unlock it even when the camera is switched off.

A faster way to return the focus point to the center is to push the OK button in the center of the multi-selector dial. Much quicker than using the multi-selector to move the point one step at a time.

Good tip! Does the D5600 have that facility?

Yes, I'm 99% sure it does. An added note: autofocus must be engaged when you press the OK button for this to work. So if you're looking through the viewfinder and want to move the focus to the center, push the shutter release halfway down (or the back button focus button if you have one) then the OK button.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back