• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magpies (1 Viewer)

CWOBrien

I've been observing the (Eurasian) magpies congregating in the trees outside my house. I find their interactions fascinating.

I notice that, as they gather in a tree, the birds in the lower branches will be continually chased off their perch by new arrivals, but the birds perched at the very top won't.

Is there some sort of dominance hierarchy at play? I've read that magpies are capable of great social complexity - maybe even more so than most primates.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Hi,

This time of year Magpies hold what are called marriage meetings. I visited a site on one of my patches yesterday as I have been for many years and more than 40 birds were present.

It is interesting watching the males fanning their tales and puffing up the plumage to impress the females, the males also use softer sounding calls and give short chases. This can go on for over 2 hours.

Not sure you experienced the same thing but thought I would mention it.

Regards,

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back