• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sri Lanka cormorants (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
Only 3 birds left to check on my quest to make my bird-list IOC compliant! Here's 2 of them:

I currently have the first listed as Indian Cormorant and the second as Little Cormorant. I may have follow-up questions if one or the other is mis-ID'd, as there were maaaany cormorants in Sri Lanka and I want to know if I saw both :)

Both taken between Kandy and Sigiriya, February 2017

Attachments

• Indian Cormorant.JPG
    Indian Cormorant.JPG
    303.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Little Cormorant.jpg
    Little Cormorant.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 16
Nevermind, all seem to be Little as well. Another one off the list, then :( but I'd rather it was accurate than long

At least in South Western Sri Lanka around Tissamaharama 8and the national parks nearby there), both are very common. If you were near the huge trees were roost thousands of Fruit Bats, there are several nests of Oriental Darters, Little and Indian Cormorants

Spent most of my time in the north/central region: we did go down to Galle for a couple days at the end, but no cormorants down that way.

There was a big colony of fruit bats in the Kandy botanical gardens though, so I've revisited some pics of there. Found what seems to be a cormorant with white tufts? Little cormorant doesn't seem to get these, so could this be Indian cormorant? I think the bird on the right is Little Cormorant.

Attachments

• DSC04748.jpg
    DSC04748.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 24
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back